• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High nitrate and conductivity in tapwater

David Edwards

Hi guys

Just looked at the tapwater report for my area and see that the nitrate is just over 41 ppm, the average conductivity is 463, the Clark hardness is 16.68, the german hardness is13.34.

Does this speak of RO unit required at least for part if not all water/water changes. Views appreciated.

Thanks

Nope. Ignore water report, that is of the water companies testing point on a particular day, not your tap at water change day.

Whilst your water is hard, mine is even harder at 22 Clark, may or may not have nitrates, who cares, I just dose full dose EI and get on with growing plants (and breeding fish).

Do not alter your EI dosing scheme, based on the false assumption of your water quality, this is the start of the slippery path of plant nutrient issues.

Extra nitrates is not an issue, regardless what ever your local fish shop says. Nitrates only become an issue in 1000's ppm range which you will never be getting near.

Just work with the water you have, makes it many many many times cheaper and many many many times easier at water change time.

Plants won't care and most common fish you find in your LFS will adjust (and will be in local water when you buy them anyway). It's only if you are keeping more sensitive softwater species that are fussy about parameters you need to worry.

Just dechlorinate, warm water if you want to and add to tank. Easy.

Hi all,
Just looked at the tapwater report for my area and see that the nitrate is just over 41 ppm, the average conductivity is 463, the Clark hardness is 16.68, the german hardness is13.34
Pretty typical for much of the lowland UK.

The best way to deplete the NO3 is with heavy planting. You can't really change conductivity, or hardness level, other than by dilution.

Could you use rain-water? It is lot cheaper, and more environmentally friendly, than RO.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel,

I do have rainwater available from various buts collecting from greenhouse and garage. I’m always, perhaps unnecessarily so, concerned about insects etc getting into the system, expiring and polluting the water. Is thus likely to be a problem?

concerned about insects etc getting into the system, expiring and polluting the water. Is thus likely to be a problem?

I use rainwater from a water butt for my tank. The only extra measure I take is to put a piece of aquarium foam in the box that leads from the downpipe to the water butt to collect the sediment. I been doing it for more than 15 years now with no problems. Unless you are in a heavily industrial area I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi all,
I use rainwater from a water butt for my tank. The only extra measure I take is to put a piece of aquarium foam in the box that leads from the downpipe to the water butt to collect the sediment. I been doing it for more than 15 years now with no problems. Unless you are in a heavily industrial area I wouldn't worry about it.
I do have rainwater available from various buts collecting from greenhouse and garage.
Same for me as @BubblingUnder, I have a few Daphnia in the water butt, when I draw the water off, if it has <"live Daphnia"> in it you are good to go.

Have a look at <"if its yellow...">

cheers Darrel

Cheers guys. I live out in the sticks so should be no issue with industrial pollutants. could the water the currently sits in the bits be used as it's likely to have been sitting there a while?

Personally I would take the opportunity to rinse out out the butt if you've not used it before (use the water in it for any houseplants). Only you can judge if you think the existing waters been stood too long. I generally only do large water changes after periods of heavy rain, but then I only have one water butt.

Back