• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High amount of silicate in tap water

bjorn

I just invested in a test kit for SiO2 thinking I had a problem with silicates leaking from my sand or something else in my tank. However I tested my tap water and it's off the scale, SiO2 mg/l (ppm) is 6.0+

I know, test kits are inaccurate at best but such a high reading isn't easily misinterpreted.

Would this high amount be my problem with continuous brown diatoms in a mature tank?

How do I solve it, is there anything that can remove Silicate from water?

Errr....you've really fallen off the wagon if you think sillicates have anything to do with diatomic algal blooms. I don't know how much money you spent on that absurd test kit but whatever you spent was completely wasted. Diatomic algal blooms are strictly a result of excessive lighting.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Errr....you've really fallen off the wagon if you think sillicates have anything to do with diatomic algal blooms. I don't know how much money you spent on that absurd test kit but whatever you spent was completely wasted. Diatomic algal blooms are strictly a result of excessive lighting.

Cheers,

Yes indeedi :rolleyes:
hoggie

ceg4048 said:

Cheers,

Well with all due respect, almost every other reference site about algae tells people that high silicates + phosphates are often the cause of Diatoms. I understand now that it's incorrect but by reading up on other sites it's to believe otherwise. A majority of them even says that stronger light can help make it go away:

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm
http://www.aquariumslife.com/headline/b ... e-control/

And many others..

High silicates are always the main reason for diatom blooms. The silicates are part of the diatom biological structure.
High light is not reason for diatom blooms, just the opposite. Higher light levels are often used to fight against diatoms.
The SiO2 tests kit is definitely not a waste of money. EI is a good method, but going extreme on EI without ever taking any measurements is shear nonsense and beginners guess work.
Regardless of how inaccurate tests kits may be they still present method of parameter control that is closer to science than any other that does not involve any kind of measurements.
I guess you have used JBL SiO2 tests. If that is the one we are talking about it is accurate enough to indicate disasters.
You can use either RO water to reduce the SiO2 or SiO2 absorbing resign that it is sold by JBL. It works quite well.

I always thought that high silicates caused diatoms too, and which is why it is so common in new setups as the silicone used in aquariums leaches out silicates. I have also heard that more light helps get rid of them.

Aquadream said:
High silicates are always the main reason for diatom blooms. The silicates are part of the diatom biological structure.
High light is not reason for diatom blooms, just the opposite. Higher light levels are often used to fight against diatoms.
The SiO2 tests kit is definitely not a waste of money. EI is a good method, but going extreme on EI without ever taking any measurements is shear nonsense and beginners guess work.
Regardless of how inaccurate tests kits may be they still present method of parameter control that is closer to science than any other that does not involve any kind of measurements.
I guess you have used JBL SiO2 tests. If that is the one we are talking about it is accurate enough to indicate disasters.
You can use either RO water to reduce the SiO2 or SiO2 absorbing resign that it is sold by JBL. It works quite well.

It is the JBL test kit. The readings are so high that there is no mistaking it. :(

I'm utterly confused now though about what my real problem is. Maybe a bit of everything rather than just the silicates.

Problem is, I tested diluting my tap water with 50% RO.. made no difference in the test reading. Still over 6.0ppm. The only way to really reduce it would be to use nearly 100% RO water which would be not only a lot of work but also require me to start using buffers etc.

I do have something called JBL SilicatEx but not used it yet and I've read it's quite messy.

I've also looked at Seachem Phos Guard, I prefer their products over JBL and it's less messy. It does remove both Phosphate and Silicates, or so it says. The problem is plants needs Phospates too, right? (I'm dosing EI).

Hi all,
Honestly it doesn't matter whether you have high levels of silica in your water or not, it really is totally irrelevant. I can quickly show why this is true, cat litter is being used successfully by lots of people, it is made from "Moler clay", moler clay is principally composed of "diatomite", and diatomite is the fossil remains of millions of Diatoms. Then there is sand, it is mainly comprised of quartz, and quartz is silicon dioxide.

The frustules of Diatoms are made from silica, and after you have a Diatom bloom in the ocean, these frustules sink, and the area is locally depleted of silica. This is one of the reasons why zones of up-welling have higher productivity in the oceans, silica is constantly being brought up from the deep ocean. This is also totally irrelevant to us, we are talking about trace levels of silica, your tank will always have enough silica to support diatom growth.

Again the same applies to macro-nutrients, algal blooms in fresh water are often associated with high levels of macro-nutrients, including phosphorus (from optical brighteners in detergents, sewage and the phosphate added to water supplies to control heavy metal levels). However the levels of phosphorus in the tank are likely to always be high enough to support algal growth.

Whether or not you think there is any point in restricting the nutrients in your tank water depends upon your point of view, and what your long term aims are. I think it would be fair to say that I do have some difference in opinion from some of my colleagues, but rather than going through the whole discussion again I'd suggest reading this post: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8834>.

cheers Darrel

Lowering the light without reducing the SiO2 in your aquarium first will lead to more diatoms.
Try to measure diluted with RO water sample of your aquarium water and your tap water to establish where the problem comes from. Then we could come up with some solution of the problem.
If both samples are with the same amount of SiO2 then you will have to dilute the tap water for every water change or use SiO2 removers on a permanent basis.
If your aquarium water turns up with the higher amounts of SiO2 then you will have to establish the source of SiO2 in the aquarium. That in most cases will be the gravel and/decorative materials - rocks, artificial elements etc.

bjorn said:
Well with all due respect, almost every other reference site about algae tells people that high silicates + phosphates are often the cause of Diatoms. I understand now that it's incorrect but by reading up on other sites it's to believe otherwise. A majority of them even says that stronger light can help make it go away:

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm
http://www.aquariumslife.com/headline/b ... e-control/

And many others..
Yes, but this is like saying "Might Makes Right." It doesn't matter how many people say something if that something is wrong. If silicate content of the water were a factor in diatomic blooms then all tanks would have diatoms all the time. In fact, one would be able to induce a diatom bloom merely by adding sand or clay products to the tank. in fact, Silicon Dioxide is not the form that diatomic algae use to build their frustules. The form is Silicic Acid, and the most abundant form is orthosilicic acid (H4SiO4). The algae process this form biogenically to manufacture SiO2. So as Darrel says, the SiO2 content of the water is totally irrelevant.

if you were to study the content of BGA, you would find a high content of Nitrogen in their Chlorophyll cells. Does this automatically mean that high levels of Nitrogen such as found in Nitrate would trigger a BGA bloom? Of course not. We know that one way of fighting BGA is in fact to increase the level of Nitrates. So just because you find a form of an element in the cell structure of an algae, it does not mean that some other form of that element within the water column is a factor in the triggering of the bloom.

Anyone can regurgitate myths and legends found in The Matrix, and in so doing populate the world with multiple copies of lies and misinformation. That's easy. What's more difficult is to prove or to disprove some theory of causality. We know that excessive light is a prime factor in the triggering of algal blooms in general. We can show this to be true. We also have enough evidence that Diatoms and GDA are cyclic forms and that they generally appear at tank startup which is a vulnerable time for the tank due to low bacterial populations and dynamic chemical states. These forms normally go away without ever returning. Excessive lighting, combined with poor flow and distribution causes problems which algal spores sense and which then trigger the blooms. If you have an established tank in which a diatomic bloom erupts then you had better start looking at your procedures in it's entirety, such as trimming, flow distribution, dosing, water change/cleaning, CO2 and lighting. Poor husbandry, dirty tanks and malnutrition exacerbated by high lighting are the factors that trigger all algal blooms. Chasing silicate content and trying to lower nutrients only causes more damage.

Instead of spending more money on test kits or nutrient absorbers, or RO, try the simple and cheap approach of reducing your lighting intensity, and of improving your plant husbandry techniques. That will serve you better in the long run.

Cheers,

Right.. so I've actually redone the entire tank yesterday and today. Took everything. Cleaned off stones, plants etc. Got it all setup again but still using mature old filter.

I've lowered lights to PAR 40 which is at 40% power on the LEDs. (I would have done lower but the tank goes quite dull.

I'll continue to dose EI and not use Phosphate remover.

Co2 at 30+ppm (lime green)

Believe In the ceg not the matrix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After redoing the entire tank, scrubbing everything, lowering lights etc.. Now on day 4 on this fresh setup I've got brown diatoms on the glass which I've cleaned off.

There is also some surface film as I mentioned in this thread

Since restarting this new system using mature filter there has been no Ammonia.

Tank: 180l
Water Volume: 150l
CO2: Green (going on lime green, using CO2 inline reactor)
Temperature: 26c
Light: 40PAR (3x GroBeam 1000 ND LED's at 40% power)
Filter: Fluval G6 (2460 lph)
PH: 6.00
Substrate: ADA Amazonia (new)

Fertilizers:
15ml Aqua Nourish+ / day (macro)
10ml Aqua Nourish / day (micro)
5 drops of ADA ECA

After redoing the entire tank, scrubbing everything, lowering lights etc.. Now on day 4 on this fresh setup I've got brown diatoms on the glass which I've cleaned off.

There is also some surface film as I mentioned in this thread

Since restarting this new system using mature filter there has been no Ammonia.

Tank: 180l
Water Volume: 150l
CO2: Green (going on lime green, using CO2 inline reactor)
Temperature: 26c
Light: 40PAR (3x GroBeam 1000 ND LED's at 40% power)
Filter: Fluval G6 (2460 lph)
PH: 6.00
Substrate: ADA Amazonia (new)

Fertilizers:
15ml Aqua Nourish+ / day (macro)
10ml Aqua Nourish / day (micro)
5 drops of ADA ECA
I have the same issues. Brown slime algae. I have very high GH & KH and was also was wondering about high silicate levels and thinking of buying a test kit. Please let us know how you got on.

Hi all,
Welcome, you aren't alone. I think we have probably all had diatoms, often during tank establishment. This possibly isn't going to help at the moment as advice, but if you wait a couple of months they are likely to disappear of their own accord.

Have a look through the rest of <"this thread">. We don't know what causes any of the different types of algae, but diatoms are pretty much universal in freshwater and <"are incredibly efficient at extracting silicon from the water"> and I'm pretty sure there will always be <"enough orthosilicic acid"> in your water to support diatom growth.
and thinking of buying a test kit
I'm <"not a great fan of test kits">, they may work, they may not, but I'm personally convinced that the main aim of the companies that supply them is to separate you from your money, and <"ideally keep on doing it">, and they aren't too scrupulous <"about their advertising claims">.

Have a look at <"Bedside Aquarium"> (with traditional apologies to @Miss-Pepper) as a general over-view of what's important.
I have very high GH & KH and was also was wondering about high silicate levels
Were do you live in the UK? If you live in the SE. or E. of the England you are likely to have <"hard water, high in nitrates and phosphates">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Welcome, you aren't alone. I think we have probably all had diatoms, often during tank establishment. This possibly isn't going to help at the moment as advice, but if you wait a couple of months they are likely to disappear of their own accord.

Have a look through the rest of <"this thread">. We don't know what causes any of the different types of algae, but diatoms are pretty much universal in freshwater and <"are incredibly efficient at extracting silicon from the water"> and I'm pretty sure there will always be <"enough orthosilicic acid"> in your water to support diatom growth.

I'm <"not a great fan of test kits">, they may work, they may not, but I'm personally convinced that the main aim of the companies that supply them is to separate you from your money, and <"ideally keep on doing it">, and they aren't too scrupulous <"about their advertising claims">.

Have a look at <"Bedside Aquarium"> (with traditional apologies to @Miss-Pepper) as a general over-view of what's important.

Were do you live in the UK? If you live in the SE. or E. of the England you are likely to have <"hard water, high in nitrates and phosphates">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

cheers Darrel
Yes I do live in an area of very hard water. I've done a 50% water change now with RO water which has helped with this and reducing pH. Also measured very high phosphate levels which could of contributed to the diatom bloom? I've purchased seachem phos-guard which seems to be working after a few days.
How much TNC should I be dosing in a 200lr tank as looks like a magnesium/ iron deficiency?

Attachments

• PXL_20201218_101333838.jpg
    PXL_20201218_101333838.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
  • PXL_20201229_103806174.jpg
    PXL_20201229_103806174.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
Hi all,
I've purchased seachem phos-guard which seems to be working after a few days.
Phosphorus (orthophosphate, the PO4--- ion) is <"easy to remove from solution">, because most phosphorus compounds <"are insoluble">.
Also measured very high phosphate levels which could of contributed to the diatom bloom?
Probably not, but there is no real way of knowing, companies are <"pretty unscrupulous about what they say in their advertising material">. Phosphorus (P) is a nutrient that <"plants need in large amounts">, so if you remove all of it from solution then you won't get any plant growth.
How much TNC should I be dosing in a 200lr tank as looks like a magnesium/ iron deficiency?
I'd probably add <"Epsom Salts" (MgSO4.7H2O)> separately, along with an iron chelate more suitable for harder water <"like FeEDDHA">. If you did want to add "TNC Complete" 125mL in 200 litres would add 5ppm Mg and 0.5 ppm Fe.

@Zeus. will be able to tell you the relative costs <"of the different options">.

cheers Darrel

Back