• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi I am new !

Welcome to UKAPS Mary, plenty of help on here a question is a question,some of the experts never tire of them and will guide you through

Hi Everyone thanks for greeting me..
i have just purchased a small tank as only have a small space these days so no matter!
am trying to set it up properly as it already had fishes with the tank..I have just bought some plants instead of the plastic ones!! But not sure if I should have done this? Will it upset the system? Mind you they are quite expensive!! Nearly as much as I paid for the Aquarium..however all creatures need looking after !
so what should i do test the water frequently ? The plants are not in the substrate as its too thin so I need to put more pebbles etc in when i have washed it etc..What should i be doing to make sure everything is happy? I have about 5 male guppies ,two black tetras ,two blue tetras ,one platy , as one had died apparently.!! Then some shrimps and two small snails.. which i just bought. plus the plants i will upload a photo to ask you what is wrong etc..when i have taken one with my camera.. Does anyone ever give away any plants etc? as they are expensive i find.. or where to get a good deal? what temperature should it be at Also how often should i feed them.as they crowd around the top seemingly always hungry!!
Hope you dont m,ind me asking you for help an d advice My tank is only 30 lites and 30x30 x30 so tiny..But i used to have larger Aquariums years ago.. Its just i am now in a flat..
thanks chaps an dany ladies if there are any.x

This is my very small tank! Does it look reasonably ok? I am becoming quite scared with all these huge and doesn't make any sense 'words' to do with fish keeping.. !! Its all Greek to me!
20180203_125853.jpg
20180203_125853.jpg 20180203_125853.jpg

Hello Mary :) Welcome..

@ian_m is correct, thats a Dracaena (sanderiana) and not aquatic and will not survive for very long like that... It's grown at the same nurseries as the aquarium plants but as Terrarium plant. It happens a lot that LFS get these plant from the nurseries and than erroneously display and sell them as aquarium plant.

Nurseries e.g. Dennerle aren't realy to blame, they don't make a secret of it, in thier database it says Terrarium plant.

http://dennerle.com/en/service/plant-database
Drac.JPG

It's the LFS ordering it, displaying it and selling it on without actualy knowing or just not caring.

Hi Mary, it can be confusing as many shops just put there houseplants (what may look nice )displayed submerged with the genuine aquatic plants.In the Uk we don’t have many good aquatic plant shops. Try starting with something like hygro.polysperma,elodea,Egeria, Vallis ,or some ,I hate the phrase easy plant, and/or something like java fern on wood or rock.Sponsers Aqua Essentials,Aquarium Gardens are brilliant for advice as well as purchase. Look for low tech set ups in the UKAP Journals and Tropica website

Hello Mary :wave:

Setting up your first tank is always a bit daunting but you've come to a great place for guidance. :happy:

I like fast-growing plants myself and would definitely second Paraguay's suggest to get some vallisneria. I know some plants can seem expensive but having made the mistake of buying cheaper plants at the beginning myself, trust me when I say they're absolutely worth spending a little more on, especially as a lot of them can be split before planting to make them go further. :happy:

Back