• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from Fishpie

fishpie

Seedling
Hi All, just thought I'd say Hi! I've got a YouTube channel - FishPie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0TJu0PlTSVXEzqjU527MeA

I often use this forum for reference and reading but thought I should finally register. I'll be making some new review videos soon on channel about my current setup, reviews on equipment and some of the errors I made buying the big tank! :)
IMG_3630.jpg

Nice tank

Aqua oak tanks 4'x2'x2' & 5'x2'x2' both freshwater set up on apex Neptune systems.
Mortgage & Protection Adviser Full Time,
Peace

Hi all,
I often use this forum for reference and reading but thought I should finally register.
Welcome, this is may seem to be a bit of confrontational post, but bear with the forum, every-one (well nearly every-one) else is a fairly friendly.

Having seen a couple of the videos, I'd start by saying that:
I'd also like to say that I don't think any of them (other than the scientific method) is a good idea.

If you have a read through <"Do I need to cycle a ..."> and links it gives a much fuller explanation of why ammonia based cycling may not be optimal, ad why the traditional view of biological filtration may not be correct.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the welcome all.

Darrel - when I started my first aquarium, I had a bunch of plants, I didn’t really know how to make them thrive , probably didn’t have as many as I should. But I was learning, and so will be many others. One thing that is for sure, when I put my fake bio load in, there certainly was a period of time when ammonia and especially nitrite were very high in my tank, so the plants were not coping on their own if I just went straight to stocking it, so myself personally I think it’s an important part of the process. Also a fully cycled filter is one that provides denitrification too. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t think that’s a good idea.

I just went back and read more of your posts, you can scratch the stuff above, it's not what you're saying, it's how you deliver it. You should definitely start your own videos, you have a lot of knowledge to share and this way you would reach an even wider audience

Every little helps

Last edited:
Hi all,
You should definitely start your own videos, you have a lot of knowledge to share and this way you would reach an even wider audience
Thank you, I was going to do one of the kit in the analytical lab. but I'll have to get some-one else to front them, because I look like a gargoyle and sound like a cockney market trader.
Also a fully cycled filter is one that provides denitrification too. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t think that’s a good idea.
Yes I'm not ill disposed towards denitrification, I just don't want it happening in a canister filter.

The problem is a finite amount of oxygen enters a canister filter, and it can't be replenished once it is in there. There is a more complete explanation in <"N2, harmful or not"> and you might also be interested in the Kevin Novack <"Anoxic filter thread">.

I wrote <"this one for plec keepers"> about 12 years ago, but it is still relevant.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
So nothing weird for a Brit
Yes, before you film yourself you delude yourself that you look like George Clooney, and sound like Benedict Cumberbatch, but then the truth hits and you realize you sound more like Alan Sugar's less cultured older brother, and that Alan is the looker of the family.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
gargoyles,cockney traders,benedict —-,George Clooney ,Alan Sugars brother,dutch interceptions should this be in the off/topic section haha welcome to ukaps Fishpie

Back