• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from Ayrshire!

Col1in

I was plunged into the hobby 2 years ago when my mother in-law bought my daughter 2 goldfish for her birthday. We were completely unprepared and made all the usual mistakes. The gold fish survived for about 8 months which then allowed me to start over and get some tropicals..

And my obsession has grown from there, I bite the bullet and went planted about 2 months ago. I've got a small external filter running but I left my old filter in the tank and filled it with bio-rings which I'm going to use to seed my filter in my new 350l tank which should be arriving soon.

My current tank is a 64l insight. I used Westland pond compost under play sand. The plants are just the usual easy ones Anubis, java fern/moss and I can't remember the name of the other one.And some moss balls..

I started dosing liquid co2 but it hasn't had any effect so I stopped. Not dosing any ferts. The plants haven't melted but haven't really grown much either.. The light is only a 9 watt led I think so pretty weak. I almost ordered a new light but I figured I'd hold off till I have my new tank up and running as I'll be spending a small fortune on it:). Was going to order some ferts as I'll need them for my big tank anyway..

I just fancied a trial run before my big tank arrived and it seems to be going ok. Getting a bit of algea here and there but nothing major.

I've got x-ray tetras, neons, some platys, and a couple of wcmm and they're all doing great..

I'd like to thank you all in advance for your patience, as no doubt I will be bombarding you with lots annoying questions over the next couple of months!

Cheers,

Colin
ce64a618a029c4763980abf27792f0f3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi Colin,

Nothing like practicing with a smaller tank first, that way any mistakes you make are a lot cheaper and quicker to put right! Have you thought about your substrate? Looks like you’ve just got sand at moment which I really struggled with until I put soil underneath.
Hi Kerryn, yeah I've aquatic pond compost under the sand. I'm going to start dosing some ferts and see what happens. I don't want to start throwing money at right now though, want to keep it for the big tank. I might make it into a shrimp tank once I move the fish into the big one...

Welcome to ukaps from a fellow ayrshire member! Good luck with your endeavours.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi colin, i am also a new member from ayrshire. I have a juwel rio 125 and a rio 300. No luck with plants yet but hopefully this forum will help.

Hi mate, yeah the forum is good. I'm new to plants too, it's a pretty steep learning curve!

Back