• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi everyone!

SteveMcD

Seedling
Thought it was about time I introduced myself, seen as I refer to the forums for advice all the time!
I’d also appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction for a decent, budget led light please. I have a Roma240 & struggling to get any decent growth. I’m still running the original t8’s, along with a Current USA satellite pro plus but it’s too small for my tank & there’s visible dark spots to the rear & in the corners.
Any advice is more than welcome! Thanks!

Hi @SteveMcD, welcome to UKAPS. You've certainly come to the right place!

To help the guys who know, please confirm your tank size is 120 x 40cm and 55cm high? Please also let the forum know what you plan to keep in the way of plants and if you want it to be low/med/high tech & your desired maintenance regime. Lighting strength is possibly the most important factor but only one of them.

If you plan easy plants, no CO2 and low ferts (low tech) then they can suggest appropriate leds with a suitable strength. If you want to keep your existing hood, then mention that too. I seem to remember seeing that you can get leds to fit t8 fittings but don't know if that would be good enough! If you remove the hood, then you have many other led fitting options.

Above all, take your time to find the right equipment and have fun.

Regards
Michael

Hello Steve and welcome. Chihiros have a range of budget LED units that are okay. Which ever one you buy just make sure it has a dimmer or can be retrofitted with one. Controlling intensity is key to success and will especially be needed if your plants have been used to T8s.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I can confirm the tank size is 120x40x55.
I do have a co2 set up but it isn’t currently in use, I wasn’t seeing any decent plant growth so I decided to strip the tank & start again. I do plan on reintroducing over the next few months so I’d prob say mid tech is my goal. I’m currently using EcoComlete substrate & dosing Aquaflora once a week but again I’ll resort back to ei dosing when co2 is resumed.

I have removed the t8 hood & fittings. My Satellite pro sits on the lip of the tank currently but just isn’t bright enough, even on full power! I have seen the Chihiros range, Tim, but I’ve struggled to find a 120cm version suitable for my tank. Any ideas where I could pick one up from please? Is there a members “for sale” section?
Thanks

You need 25 posts to access the for sale etc section
Not sure why they're not available. Aquasabi sold them but they are out of stock, and there don't seem to be any on eBay either. Although it could be because Chihiros are bringing out a new LED soon, the RGB Vivid...
Another alternative would be to buy 2x60cm versions and suspend them.

25! Looks like I’m doing some spamming then ;)
I did find one on AliExpress, seemed reasonably priced but I’d prefer to buy something closer to home.
Think it might be time to look at alternatives!
Thanks

Think it might be time to look at alternatives!
Well if you're prepared to spend more the Twinstar S series is a very good option. Perhaps the best colour rendition at that price point and it can be retrofitted with a dimmer or control unit for sunsets and sunrises etc. They are bringing a 120cm version out soon, if they haven't already.

You need 25 posts to access the for sale etc section
Not sure why they're not available. Aquasabi sold them but they are out of stock, and there don't seem to be any on eBay either. Although it could be because Chihiros are bringing out a new LED soon, the RGB Vivid...
Another alternative would be to buy 2x60cm versions and suspend them.

I hadn’t thought of that, that’s a good idea. Do you think it would be wise to fit some kind of cover over the tank though? Wouldn’t fancy catching fish whilst I’m trying to watch a film!

Well if you're prepared to spend more the Twinstar S series is a very good option. Perhaps the best colour rendition at that price point and it can be retrofitted with a dimmer or control unit for sunsets and sunrises etc. They are bringing a 120cm version out soon, if they haven't already.

Had a look & couldn’t find a 120cm option either. 2x 60’s is a bit pricey. I hate this hobby sometimes!

Had a look & couldn’t find a 120cm option either. 2x 60’s is a bit pricey. I hate this hobby sometimes!
Best ask Dave or Steve at Aquarium gardens they might know when the 120 is out. Last time we spoke I think they mentioned it'd be soon.

Best ask Dave or Steve at Aquarium gardens they might know when the 120 is out. Last time we spoke I think they mentioned it'd be soon.

Ok I’ll give them a shout & see if they know. I do like the idea of having 2x 60’s suspended but with having a Roma with the black plastic surround around the top of the tank, I’ll have to try find out if it’s removable without causing any damage. Thanks again Tim.

I’ll have to try find out if it’s removable without causing any damage
I Don't think it is. It's probably essential to the structural integrity of the tank. Without it, the tank will probably bow quite drastically across the front and back panes. I had a Roma 90 and got away with it but I wouldn't risk it on a bigger tank.

I’d prefer to buy something closer to home

Hi @SteveMcD, you could try the following:
https://www.aquascape-boutique.fr/epages/233807.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=/Shops/233807/Products/ECLE-002/SubProducts/ECLE-002-0009 for the Chihiros A Series A1201 (in stock) or
https://www.aquascape-boutique.fr/e...7/Products/ECLE-013/SubProducts/ECLE-013-0008
for 2 x Chihiros A+ Series A601 (in stock although I can't confirm they have two of them)
They ship to the UK. If you want to contact them, email to info@aquascape-boutique.fr and address your email to Sylvain. His English is good. I've not spoken to him but have emailed. You can mention my name if you want to. I don't get commission :( and am not affiliated with them.

They also sell dimmers - check first if the product comes with a dimmer. Some models do and others don't. They also have the Chihiros Commander if you want a timer / controller which does sunrise / sunset.

If you contact them, you should ask if they have new / different stock coming in. I am expecting an Series A+ A801 to come in around mid Feb.

Regards

Michael

Hi again @SteveMcD, if you like the pricing of Chihiros (they are cheaper than Twinstar but I did not associate them with the word "budget") and can't find the model you want from the links I have provided, you can try Amazon - I saw some there previously - or you can look up other EU distributors from the following link: http://www.chihiros.cn/en/daili/m7.html.

Regards

Michael

Back