• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi everyone, first Aquascape here

ScaperJoe

Hi Folks

I am brand new to the hobby this year after getting absorbed by Green Aqua's YouTube videos and thought I would share my first Aquascape with you, planted on 2nd March 2021. I added a few more plants after 1 week to plug some gaps (and my Anubias Petite arrived):

Day 1
Day 1.jpg

Day 19 (today)
Day 19.jpg

If you are interested in the setup:

ADA 60P tank (60 litres)
Twinstar III 600E (6.5 hours per day for now)
Fluval 107 Canister Filter (+ 16/22mm lily pipes)
^ Seachem Matrix + Purigen ^
CO2 injection
Eheim Skim 350
RO water (+ Seachem Equilibrium to TDS 120)
No heater but keeping around 23 degrees
ADA Power Sand Advance (2L)
ADA Amazonia Normal Type (9L)
ADA Amazonia Soil Powder (3L)
Hardscape - “Brown Holey Rock”
Hardscape - “Desert Finger Wood”
Basically the whole Seachem ferts range
  1. Anubias Coin
  2. Anubias Petite
  3. Bucephalandra Kedagang
  4. Eleocharis Acicularis 'Mini'
  5. Alternanthera Reinekii 'Mini
  6. Cuba + Monte Carlo (1-2 grow)
  7. Hygrophila 'Araguaia'
  8. Cyperus Helferi
  9. Marsilea Crenata
  10. Spiky Moss, Weeping Moss + Flame Moss (1-2 grow)
The tank has cycled now and I have ordered my fish, shrimps and snails. I'm keen for some feedback, plus any tips and tricks on how to improve + maintain this. I'm thinking I need to either move or get rid of the Cyperus Helferi in the foreground as it is just too big?

I'm also starting to see the start of some hair algae which worries me!

Cheers!

Looks great and should be stunning fully grown in. Your drop checker looks a bit dark in the picture. I would place the co2 diffuser on the opposite side of the tank to your filter outlet. I find that way the flow of water is down and this keeps the co2 in suspension longer. Giving better results for less gas used.

Looks great and should be stunning fully grown in. Your drop checker looks a bit dark in the picture. I would place the co2 diffuser on the opposite side of the tank to your filter outlet. I find that way the flow of water is down and this keeps the co2 in suspension longer. Giving better results for less gas used.
Thanks Kevin! That's good advice as the drop checker stays mostly on the blue side for the first part of the day. Some videos said the diffuser should go directly under the outflow, but I think I bought lily pipes that are way too big for the tank, so the CO2 just goes straight up and out. I'll see if I can rearrange it.

Thanks Kevin! That's good advice as the drop checker stays mostly on the blue side for the first part of the day. Some videos said the diffuser should go directly under the outflow, but I think I bought lily pipes that are way too big for the tank, so the CO2 just goes straight up and out. I'll see if I can rearrange it.
Swap the checker to the other side if you do swap the diffuser so you always read the opposite side to injecting

We have had a few Jersey members but none that have stuck around for long and only one other Guernsey member apart for me and I have not seen him for a long time.
The Blue Diamond group used to stock a fantastic range in their garden centre over here, I am not sure if they did in Jersey but anyway they stopped all aquatics last year!
We also had a great marine outlet inside the German built Vallet war tunnels, it was also our local Aquarium but as the tourist have demised the Aquarium closed (after 50 years) two years back.
The one outlet left is very busy but it is more about selling community fish and animal care products.
The only marine outlet is run from somebody’s house as a part time business.

Back