• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi all! I could use a little help.

Castien

Seedling
http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/hawktamer/media/IMG_0805.jpg.html?o=0

Hi everyone. This is my first Tropical fish tank with live plants.

I have had it for 3 months now with Little issue until recently.

The last few days I have had 2 Dwarf Gourami Die to reasons i am unsure of.

One was a Male Who i noticed had signs of fin rot on his top fin which i was already treating the tank for as Two of my tetras have it. But the next day he Seemed to have a very bloated stomach Swam around the tank Erratically before Ending up lifeless on his side. I did a 50% water change not long afterwards as it was the day to add more of the medicine which i did and i also was recommended to add Aquarium salt which i did for the first time that day. The next day i saw a female gourami Continuously swimming towards the surface looking to be struggling to get oxygen from the surface which they had not done before. She ignored Food and just kept doing it without stopping. I meant to get An air stone but i wan unable to go the same day so i meant to go today but i saw her Dead last night before i gave them there Night feed.

I generally have a PH of between 6 and 7, I have Stopped Adding CO2 in case that was causing it but that has not changed anything. My KH Always Seems to be Very low or 0 according to my test strips and my ammonia is shown to be 0 as well as my nitrate and nitrites.

The Second Female Gourami Seems to be Fine. Shes shown no sign of illness or going down hill so im unsure of what to do now.

Hi
Your water parameters(PH,KH and GH) will have little to No influence of the condition of your fish.
Tell us more about your tank filtration and waterchange regime.How often and how much do U feed.It is impossible to have nitrates of 0.Probably your test are not accurate as there quite few things that will have impact on the readings.
Finrot and bloating is sth that is related to poor water quality in most cases.What medication are U using?Adding aquarium salt is not always a good thing .
Regards Konsa

I Feed a small pinch in the morning and another before i go to bed. so Average time frame... Anywhere from 9am to 12am

I'm using Interpet Anti Fungus and Finrot.

I dont think im adding any trace elements but i Do add Tropica Plant Growth premium Fertilizer once a week.

I'll need to check at the Store for what the filtration is as i got a tank that came with Everything. So a filter,Heater and light. As far as i know the only things in the filter is a Algaway pad and a white carbon thing. Sorry for not knowing much.

I've added an air stone today in case.

I would just really like to do the best by my Fish as i really want to be successful in this Hobby.

Dwarf Gouramis are not the srong fish they were, as soon as something goes wrong they are unable in a lot of cases to recover,whatever meds you use its a case of remove carbon from the filter, back to the store tell them about the fish if you purchased there? Sounds like you have carbon pad in the filter, only needed to remove the medication later but keep the bio filtration going with any sponges or? and stop feeding for now.I like your last line of your post BTW, and welcome to UKAPS

Last edited:
Colisa Ialia (Dwarf gourami) are quite prone to iridovirus. Said to be untreatable.
As much as 45 % of those imported affected.
Honey gourami,or Pearl gourami said not to be affected by iridovirus.
You may not be doing anything wrong ,just bad odd's.

Hi Castien, we are lucky in Guernsey to have very good quality tap water but unlucky to have such awful aquarium shops!
I would suggest you carry out 30 % daily water changes for at least a few days and also tell us as much about you tank as possible.
How are you administrating the C02?

I was using a Tropica plant growth system 60. I have recently stopped Though in case that was why my PH was dropping. I have also been recommended a different Medication from another Local fish store which is the interpret All disease Since a few of my fish have died due to different causes. Hopefully that helps.

Just a note on the filter... I know the one you mean.. did it also come with bioballs for biological filtration?

Right yes I had the same when I started in the hobby. I soon realised that the algaway pad was the only surface which would grow beneficial bacteria. Unfortunately the algaway pads tend to degrade quickly, unlike normal filter sponges which can last for many years, these tend to stop letting water flow through them efficiently after a matter of a few months. Initially I bought off a small amount of plastic bioballs type media and put this in behind the algaway pad. They rattled around quite a bit and so I bought a few more plus a small mesh bag for them which stopped this (all of this cost only a few pounds) this lasted a while and worked just fine though I realised eventually that I didn't want activated carbon in a planted tank, nor the phosphate removing pad as they were removing nutrients I was adding for plant growth. At this point I chucked the whole lot and simply bought a block of proper aquarium filter sponge that was the same size as the filter and have ever since ran with this. This is much easier to maintain and I just take it out and give it a squeeze in old tank water every month or two.

Huh. Ok well thanks for the information. That definitely seems better than replacing them every month like it says to do...

Back