• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi All and help please

Hi,
Yes these are the correct compounds for the 'Macro' Solution. You will need Chelated elements for the Micro. I notice it says 9% Mg, don't know if that is the correct amount you need for EI or not.

Hi all,
I notice it says 9% Mg, don't know if that is the correct amount you need for EI or not.
Magnesium sulphate ("Epsom Salts") are always ~10% Mg in use because they pick up atmospheric moisture (the "water of crystallisation") and become the stable <"heptahydrate MgSO4.7H2O">.

Your potassium phosphate is K2HPO4.

You can use the <"Rotala Butterfly"> Nutrient Calculator to give you amounts for your tank volume.

cheers Darrel

10% (roughly) Mg is the amount of Mg in standard hydrated magnesium sulphate.

Work out as follows, atomic weights for MgSO4.7H2O is 24 + 32 + 4x16 + 7 x ( 2+16) ->230.

Therefore % Mg is 24/230 * 100 -> 10%.

10% (roughly) Mg is the amount of Mg in standard hydrated magnesium sulphate.

Work out as follows, atomic weights for MgSO4.7H2O is 24 + 32 + 4x16 + 7 x ( 2+16) ->230.

Therefore % Mg is 24/230 * 100 -> 10%.
Thanks @dw1305 and Ian, I was wondering what the Atomic Weight was, as I was posting I realised that you can't change the ratio, in normal conditions.

Hi all,
I was wondering what the Atomic Weight was, as I was posting I realised that you can't change the ratio, in normal conditions
That's it, you can drive the water off by heating, but then you have to store the <"anhydrous MgSO4"> in air-tight conditions (either a desiccator or freezer).

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a periodic table etc to work the percentage of elements in any compound, but a calculator like the Rotala one is all you need for common fertilisers.

The Wikipedia page for a compound will give you the RMM and the RAM of any element in the compound.

cheers Darrel

Back