• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tankless

Following my first aquascape which ended up being a failure. I decided it was time to make the tank look a little bit better. The goals were as follows:
1. Keep ample space to clean the glass
2. Keep the plants and fish healthy
3. Cap maintenance to maximum of one hour a week
4. Maintain the tank consistently for 12 months

I did the rescape today after a few weeks of planning and have potentially come across my first big problem a few hours after finishing. I didn't know that people use egg crates under rocks to disperse the force. I've got some cloudy water pictures from earlier today. The total weight of the rocks is 16kg, with the big one weighing 8 or 9kg. Would I need to remove this and place egg crates underneath it? The tank inhabitants were put back into the tank a few hours after the rescape.

I'll take better pictures tomorrow.

(I also overestimated how much rotala I could salvage so light intensity remains at 50%).
20211210_221655.jpg
20211210_221733.jpg

20211210_234349.jpg
20211210_221713.jpg

Last edited:
I spoke to Aquarium Gardens whom I bought the elderly stone from. They stated that the way I set it up is fine.

20211211_161303.jpg

I moved from an intank atomiser to an inline version. Need to get the c02 right over the next few days. My next update will be in a month's time (or if I have an issue before that. I need to get rid of the java fern, if you live in West London then I will gladly donate it to someone for free).

In the past 11 days, I've been fighting with my bristlenose to keep the soil sloped with the rear higher than the front. Unfortunately, I've accepted defeat and now the soil gradient changes on a daily basis according to the whims of the bristlenose. Lighting has also been increased to 55% (plan to max it at 60%).

I've got monte carlo arriving tomorrow to be used as an epiphyte (hard word to spell). Any advice on how to attach monte carlo to the rocks? I originally planned to grow it on the flat side of the big rocks but realised I have no glue left. I've also purchased some blue neocardina shrimp which will arrive tomorrow. My cherry's died out last year, the tangerines outlived them 🤔

Several of the fish are 4 years old now and must be coming to the end of their lifespan. Out of the three, which would be best suited to this tank as it slowly fills in:
1. Copper Harlequin Rasbora
2. Celestial Pearl Danios
3. Green Neon Tetras

20211222_205658.jpg
20211222_205952.jpg
20211222_205907.jpg
20211222_205631.jpg

I'm thinking of planting either Juncus Repens or Cyperus Helferi as a background plant (where the java fern is currently as I'll be binning that). Has anyone had the two before?

Tank is now 4 weeks old since the rescape. I'm starting to get diatoms on the hardscape. I also think that I trimmed the lilaeopsis novae zelandiae too soon as it seems to be dying (I trimmed it around 2.5 weeks).
20220105_161949.jpg
20220109_205928.jpg

Back