• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Hermetosphere

Wat better start of a new year can one wish then with a slice of nature!?..
IMG_20210101_132104047.jpg

IMG_20210101_132458338.jpg

Some mosses gathered from the garden. 2 sp. of very tiny Utricularia and some HC.
IMG_20210101_132515009.jpg

Obviously, it still needs to grow in... :) And I yet have no light for it thus I place in my lightest and holiest spot in the room under the skylight to get its blessings.
IMG_20210101_132235935.jpg

Happy new year everybody!... I wish you lots of luck and lots of scaping fun.

And then there was light... :cool:

Glass is a tad foggy but that's because it's new and for now the lamp is an old tiny 12-volt incandescent light bulb from a car instrument panel and it gets warm at least warmer than a LED. All I had at the moment, ordered some LED's and Resistors i think the LED will be much brighter too... I'm still waiting to replace it.

edip.jpg

And the wire I used is lacquered copper wire, ripped from a coil from an old PCB.
edip2.jpg

It has its own timer switch and mini 3 Watt - 12-volt power supply...

Last edited:
Love the light bulb
It would be great if you could create a chandelier of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that would awesome and something like this...

🥰

Last edited:
Here it is with the LED light installed. :) The incandescent bulb was simply too warm for this.

The plug is just a drilled cork, with a black washer glued to the top. In the washer i placed a blind nut rivet. This looks quite similar to an original E27 light fitting when the lamp is plugged.
IMG_20210107_133023820.jpg

It's a 3 volt 20mA LED,to make this with DC 12 volt the LED needs a 470 Ohm resistor. For the ones interested in doing something like this. This is no rocket science, there are a fair amount of simple U=IxR <LED resistor calculators online>.

1 LED = 1 resistor, multiple LEDs parallel the 1 resistor stays the same. Tho, with LEDs in series in changes.

IMG_20210107_133430323.jpg

Actually light enough when the room is relative dim. What i don't like is the LED beam angle is too narrow, it beams like a tiny spot light. The bright spot is clearly visible in the centre. I have little room for a lens and yet could't find anything suitable...
IMG_20210107_165613755.jpg

What i'm going to try to do about this, is going to install 3 LEDs parallel, a 5mm LED in the centre and left and right from it a 3mm LED all having the same specs. :)

Nice little project, you could try diffusing the LED lens by rubbing the clear plastic tip with sand paper or a file, might make it less of a spot. Try on a spare LED.

Nice little project, you could try diffusing the LED lens by rubbing the clear plastic tip with sand paper or a file, might make it less of a spot. Try on a spare LED.

Thank you!?.. :) I thought of that, but the 1 led wasn't that bright as i thought it would be...

So I gave it 3 LED's now... :)
IMG_20210108_102137375.jpg

IMG_20210108_102452442.jpg

Definitively more light, spreading over a wider surface.

IMG_20210108_102427854.jpg

:thumbup:

And its big sister also is still going strong. The moss carpeted it completely by now. And now and then a Utricularia flower pops up from underneath. It seems the Utricularia doesn't mind to be overgrown... I guess it can't be outcompeted since it's a carnivore.
IMG_20210828_145526706.jpg

Tho, the Java ferns in it are not really happy, this is a pretty tough plant to grow and establish emerged. It got a setback and old-growth goes yellow but it's also showing new young growth that looks healthy.

But the Biophytum sensitivum is thriving it threw a load of seeds around last summer and now there are many young plants from it all over the place.
IMG_20210828_145623202.jpg

Sorry for the phone camera focusing on the water droplets on the glass. It has no manual focus option.
IMG_20210828_145617872.jpg

Also, the Drosera is doing very well, at first, it completely died but came back 3 times stronger. In the background is mother Biophytum.
IMG_20210828_145642355.jpg

Fantastic project, shared in instagram :)

Thanks for the likes guys... And Tim, thanks too for sharing it on insta. It's no longer in my possession, it's current owner took it home last Friday and is seemingly very happy with it and did send the picture minutes later. Stoked it's his now and on Insta too... :) I guess more pics to come.

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-29 at 12.50.42.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-29 at 12.46.25.jpeg

For the ones interested in how the brainfart came to be I posted this a while back in the Of Topic Chit-Chat section.
Arduino experts around? Copy-Cats are welcome... :cool: If you need any advice?... Shoot!💪

Last edited:
Back