• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hemianthus micranthemoides growth rate....

Dave Spencer

Does anybody out there consider this to be a slow growing plant as far as stem plants are concerned?

I have some in a medium light nano where growth is fairly slow, but it doesn`t seem to be growing any faster in my high tech EI tank.

There is some Micranthemum umbrosum in the high tech tank that must be growing at a faster rate of at least X10.

The plants are healthy with no obvious signs of deficiency, but I just can`t get used to the slow growth. Does anybody else have the same experience with this plant?

Dave.

A friend kept HM and it grew fairly to very slowly for him (he did, however, have low light)...

CJ Castle said:
A friend kept HM and it grew fairly to very slowly for him (he did, however, have low light)...

Yeah, that was me, and it did grow slowly. Takashi Amano uses it in a lot of his scapes and they normally grow fast :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mike

i'd say average in my opinion. i had some in my rekord 60 for ages. from pruning down to 4 inches it would grow to about 8 inches when i'd prune again in about 2 weeks. if that helps.

ie ~2 inches a week in 2.5 WPG with CO2 and laterite/gravel substrate.

nice plant though, gives a sence of depth and perspective to a tank, especially a small one. i would imagine you would need very high light in a larger tank (40G for example) to keep the growth compact. it has a tendancy to grow very leggy with more stem than leaf if left to go wild and/or has too much depth of water between it and the light.

I have to say I never considered this to be a slow growing plant, it always grew medium fast for me, I haven't seen it around these parts in a long time either.

Back