• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hemianthus Carpet Planting

NanoJames

Hi all
I recently got some HC in the post from a fellow member on this site. It will be going in my 20 litre nano: 20 Liter Nano | UK Aquatic Plant Society . I took out a bit of the Stauro from the front so I have a space to put the HC. I took out the Dennerle Nano gravel, because it was inert, and put down some ADA Amazonia in its place. The question is, if I want a lovely and lush carpet of HC: single stem planting or bunches? I have the time it's just a case of which one's better? I know about HC's need for good nutrients and lighting and CO2, that's why I changed the substrate, so I don't need anyone to point that out!:thumbup: If anyone could get back soon that would be great as I'd like to plant tomorrow.
Cheers:)

Hi
the most efficient method is planting by single stem.
If your tank is already running, I would suggest you to reduce a bit the light, to give a better chance to plants to make the transition from emerge to submerge.
It will also reduce the carbon demand so you will more be able to get a good amount of CO2 to this plant.
please ensure that HC is in a place with good flow and good access to CO2, HC is really demanding CO2.
So reduction of light at introduction + best CO2 + good flow = success with HC carpeting (easier to say than to realize it lol)
Also trimming of HC will help it to grow more compact.
Good luck with this plant.

cheers mate
Zanguli

Thanks for the answers Zanguli-ya-zamba and big clown!:) That's a really great answer from both of you. Although, I now seem to have contradicting information!:eek: If I'm going to do it in clumps, how should I split the clumps up? With scissors or just pulling them away from the rest?
Cheers:)

i used a trimming knife blade to chop them up, does your dad have any you can use? but i guess scissors will do the same job

I just seperated by hand. If you use scissors you end up with lots of floating bits.
I didnt mean to give conflicting info but i think your tank already got water in it. Imo its much easier to plant clumps underwater. Single stems will give you a better carpet but is nearly impossible with water in the tank. Try it but i think youll end up using clumps anyway.
Other than that Zanguli-ya-zamba is bang on
Happy carpeting and good luck

tell me about it, some times at work I don't even notice a cut until I have covered everything in my blood :banghead:

Back