• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help

justin85

Can any one help me by naming the plants in this photo please, I can see a type of moss has been used but not sure what it is, also I am terrible with plant names and i.d ing them lol

26832_zps0ba3b24a.jpg

I can't be sure, but the bulk of the foreground looks to be Riccia fluitans. The foreground on the far right is Eleocharis parvula. Behind that, the green plant is Rotala sp. 'Green', or Micranthemum micranthemoides, possibly even both. It's difficult to tell, but the red stuff right at the back looks like Rotala rotundifolia.

Isn't the centre Hc cuba?

I thought that too, does look like Hc

I can't be sure, but the bulk of the foreground looks to be Riccia fluitans. The foreground on the far right is Eleocharis parvula. Behind that, the green plant is Rotala sp. 'Green', or Micranthemum micranthemoides, possibly even both. It's difficult to tell, but the red stuff right at the back looks like Rotala rotundifolia.

Thanks mate! very helpful. Whats the best method to get Riccia to carpet like this? attach it to bits of slate?

Now that I think about it, it probably is Hermianthus callitrichoides; I think I can make out a root system that wouldn't be present with Riccia fluitans.

The method most people choose for a Riccia carpet is to weave it onto metal or plastic mesh. If you do a google search, it'll be there somewhere.

I'm liking the look of Fissidens fontanus. I bet that stuff looks awesome growing on driftwood. I've always avoided mosses since I got hold of some Java moss; it's absolutely horrid stuff and gets everwhere! I might just make the exception for this stuff though.

Back