• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with sand colour please

BarryH

Planning to do something with a spare tank, mainly for Harlequin Rasboras. The tank will have a number of large to small pebbles that are dark grey and go a shade or two darker when immersed and will have a background planting of Hair Grass plus maybe Weeping Moss on a couple of the larger pebbles.

I've recently used Unipac's Maui sand in another tank and that feels a bit to "white" for me so I bought a bag of their Fiji sand to try in this one. The Fiji sand looks to be a bit on the "red" side and doesn't really go with the dark grey rocks. Also, thinking of the Harlequins colouring, they have black stripe and I thought of using a dark sand, something like Unipac's Limpopo. The tank is a Juwel 70 litre that's finished with black sealant and a black internal filter.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this one right first time if that's ever a possibility.

http://www.unipacpet.co.uk/aquatic/aquarium-sand/

Deleted -Post duplicated

Last edited:
Hi Barry,

I have Unipac Limpopo Sand in my aquarium. It's less 'dead' looking than the black/grey sand bought in PAH and Maidenhead Aquatics. I have a small amount of that in my 21L tank.
It grows plants well enough and my Cories all developed magnificent barbels.
A picture tells a better story so here's a photo taken yesterday. Tank is a Juwel Primo 110 LED

Attachments

• 20200118_160554.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 119
Thanks for that Polly, the Limpopo looks really good. Great looking tank too.

Back