• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with ongoing battle against BGA

CaptainJack

Seedling
G'day fellow aquascapers. I'm stuck in an ongoing fight with blue green algae in my ~27L iwagumi.
  • The tank is planted with planted with Monte Carlo and Dwarf Hairgrass, as well as some Java Moss, using a dry start.
  • No live stock.
  • I am using CO2.
  • I do 60-70% water changes every 2-3 days (for the first week it was daily water changes).
  • I'm dosing with an all in one fertiliser.
  • Tanks is about 3 weeks post-flood.

The initial BGA outbreak was - I believe - caused by:
  • Too much light. I didn't reduce the light intensity or photoperiod (which was quite intense) when I flooded the tank. In hindsight this was way too strong for the plants I have.
    • I'm using the 45cm 21W Chihiros A II. I've since reduced the intensity to 25%, and more recently 15%, with 5 hour photo period.
  • Not enough flow. I bought a HOB filter that was about 110 L/h (so 4x tank capacity). However the filter really didn't cause much due to the way the outlet was angled.
    • I've since replaced this with an internal filter with 450L/h and flow looks pretty good.

The initial BGA outbreak was pretty rapid/bad, and I removed a lot of it with a toothbrush and siphon. It is a bit difficult to remove it from the Monte Carlo without damaging the plant itself, so I've done what I can. I also spot treated with hydrogen peroxide twice a day for about 3 days, and this did seem to kill off a decent chunk of the remaining BGA, but the Monte Carlo in the same area also looked a bit the worse for wear, so I paused that.

Since then I decided to focus on getting some healthy plant growth, with the hope that this would create a harder environment for the BGA to thrive in. It's been almost a week, and I'm not sure if this is working - the BGA is still definitively growing, though much slower than it was. Plant growth is looking ok - dwarf hairgrass is going full speed, and the MC is doing ok.

Hoping to get some advice:
  • Should I continue as is (siphoning out the BGA, and aiming for good plant growth), or try something else.
    • Black out?
    • Go back to the hydrogen peroxide?
    • Try a different product? I can get Blue Exit, but am in Australia, and I don't think the other common BGA options are available here.
  • Is it better to have too much fertiliser (to maximise plant growth) or too little (to avoid having to much excess nutrients).
  • Any other thoughts?
Please let me know if you need pictures or further information. Cheers

A picture would be good to see how bad it is... it can literally smother a whole tank and regrow in days which needs a little more dramatic action than a few isolated patches that aren't spreading much. For the later, you may find just managing as you are doing, whilst waiting for the tank to mature enough is all you need to do.

Just double check your fertiliser has nitrate source in... sometimes they'll claim all-in-one and not actually have everything.

Back