• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with LED lighting/Engineering problem?

Manrock

I am running a Walstad Bowl/Shrimp breeding project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23623 in my class and need a bit of inspired thinking. I have clip-on LED lights and curved fish bowls. At the moment they do not sit well together.
DSC02420.jpg

I'd like the LED situated centrally and horizontally above the opening of the bowl .
DSC02422.jpg

I need a (very/free) solution to my problem please. Here is a close-up.
DSC02421.jpg

Suggestions so far have involved door stops, meccano and wooden stands. Can you help?

Hi Darrel - That's what we're doing at the moment but the fitting is not tight and is prone to wobble and twist - which is not good with kids, electricity and water! It should be simple to solve but I just can't see it.

Cheers

Hi all,
That's what we're doing at the moment but the fitting is not tight and is prone to wobble and twist - which is not good with kids, electricity and water!
Just pack some cloth in between the clamp and the glass, should stop it falling off or in. The electric is only 12V at the LED end, I've got a similar one where the transformer is in the plug, although in this case I assume it is in the clamp?

cheers Darrel

You could also try some high density foam. You can get it in various colours and thicknesses from craft shops. I got some in black to make a bracket for a gps reciever once and it is quite "none slip" so it should stop the wobble for you.

You mentioned it was for a class - are you at a school?

If so is there a d&t/resistant materials department that could bend a bit of acrylic into a sloping z shape for you?

You'd need to play around with the angles but you should be able to hook the z over the edge of the bowl and have a bit sticking up vertically in the right place to clip on to.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. The bracket held in place with silicon is looking like the best option for me at the moment (seeing as I have plenty of silicon) - even better would be an acrylic 'hook' siliconed into place but alas we are only a country primary school with few resources.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming please.

Back