• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with identifying Algae

Willie B. Thomas

Seedling
Hello,
I need some help from the group to identify some algae that has started to grow in a new aquarium. Maybe more important now can I stop it / kill it! The tank was setup 21 days ago, and for the first 2 weeks I did 50% water changes 2 times a week. I'm using a 50/50 mix of tap and RO water. The last week I only did a 30% water change once. The algae showed up about the 12 day point. The specifications of the tank are;
Aquarium size:
240 liter
Lighting:
LEDs http://www.rapidled.com/24-led-plug-n-play-retrofit-kit-dimmable/
Lighting is on for 6 hours per day at 50% power.
Co2:
2Kg tanks with JBL regulator with solenoid. CO2 comes on 3 hours before lights on and off 1 hour before lights out. Also giving tank a dose of Flourish Excel 1 hour before lights on 5ml the recommend dose.
PH Levels: Water PH before the start of CO2 injection is 7.8 after 3 hours PH reading is 6.9. I'm using a Voltcraft PH reading to take PH readings. Water changes

Other numbers;
GH = >7
KH = 3 after injecting CO2
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 10
These numbers are taken from hobby testing kit, I know hobby test kit equal bad.

Dosing of fertilizer was started last week and I'm using Seachem Flourish products
For the macros Flourish Nitrogen 9ml, Phosphorus 29ml, and Potassium 13ml. These are dosed three time a week. For the micro using Seachem Flourish Trace. The algae started before I started dosing the fertilizer.

Below is an image of the algae/BGA ???

vs71.jpg

At the moment its only in three places in the tank. I remove it at each water change but it comes back after about 72 hours.

Hey Darrel,

Thanks for the reply, it changed to this white color in the last 24 hours. Last week it was a brown looking color. Sorry I did take images of it last week.

Thanks

Just an update, I'm starting to get this Algae growing on my java moss. Anyone have an idea what this would be.
It looks brown on the plants but has a light green color under the microscope.
Update on Tank specs:
Lighting: 8 hours per day
LEDs @ 35% of max power

Sorry I couldn't make a better image.

Thanks

qgm5.jpg

Back