• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with filter choice

foxfish

Hi guys, I have a problem with a 4' tall tank (2 x 2 x 4) I want to install a power filter but I wonder if the regular models available can coupe with the pressures involved?
The issue is not about power so much as the fact the filter will be sitting 6' below the water level & will be under a lot of pressure - do you know if standard power filters can operate under this pressure?
I will get a picture up later.....

Hi foxfish
I think you might find it difficult to get a standard powerfilter that has a pump strong enough to push up 6feet
I seem to remember another post where someone had a fx5 4feet below their tank and the pump head wasn't strong enough
The only one that might do it is the eheim 2062 classic as this is just a canister with a 1260 pump strapped to the top which is just a sump pump
Is their any way you could sump the tank? Then the choice of pumps is easier
Matt

Thanks guys, I dont think the head should be a problem as the pump is in effect just circulating the water because the feed is via a valve fitted in the bottom of the tank - I am going to the chaps house at 4pm so I will take a few pics.

I built the tank over 15 years ago so I cant really remember the details of how it all works!

As I remember the frame is constructed from 25 x 4mm S/S angle & the glass is 20mm thick, the base is 4mm S/S with a 100mm S/S pipe running up the centre. I made a feature to cover the pipe - I think?

Re:

mdhardy01 said:
Hi foxfish
I think you might find it difficult to get a standard powerfilter that has a pump strong enough to push up 6feet
I seem to remember another post where someone had a fx5 4feet below their tank and the pump head wasn't strong enough
The only one that might do it is the eheim 2062 classic as this is just a canister with a 1260 pump strapped to the top which is just a sump pump
Is their any way you could sump the tank? Then the choice of pumps is easier
Matt

that was me fx5 couldn't push flow into my tank which the top of is 6ft off the floor
and yes that was with no media loaded

OK here is the tank, I will post a diagram of how it works a bit later...
tall.jpg

tt.jpg

Back