• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with CO2 Canister

triqzfx

Seedling
So I found a kit for Co2 but I just need the bottle/canister. Can I use wielding canisters and such? Im hoping to get a good month out of it at least but I don't know what size I should go for? any help is appreciated I admit Co2 might be overkill but I want to give plants best chance they can and I will be using Ecotech XR30 pro's with diffusers I have leftover from my reef tankdays. my tank is 1000 litres (sumped) Plants I want to grow are:
Java moss
Dwarf hairgrass
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Cryptocoryne
hornwort ???
Echinodorus bleheri
Vallisneria Spiralis
Ceratopteris thalictroides
duckweed
Alternanthera reineckii 'pink'
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini
rotala rotundifolia
Rotala Macrandra

Hi and welcome.

You can use welding canisters and SodaStream bottles with the right adapters, however 1000 litres is a lot of water and neither of those is going to last very long. Ideally, you want to be using a fire extinguisher.

Depending on where in devon you are I can point you towards a supplier

I get about 100 days from 2Kg fire extinguisher in 180litres.

You have 6 times my tank volume that, so that's 100/6 -> 16 days.

Welding cylinders are 600gr odd, so a third my 2Kg, so down to 16/3 -> 5 days.

My CO2 injection has taken ages to get to that level :)cool:) of injection & flow, yours having a guess will initially be twice my consumption so 5/2 -> 2 1/2 days, that's 240gr CO2 per day.

So I estimate you will get only 2 1/2 days for £10 welding gas container, or more interestingly £1460 per year for in the end 85Kg of CO2. A bargain NOT.

May I suggest either a 5Kg fire extinguisher (£20 odd for old ones) or pub gas often £20 odd for 6.3Kg refill. A 6.3Kg will last you 6300/240 -> 26 days.

Based off zeus's and Ian's resposne it seems 6.3kg seems to be around what I need question is will it fit? now to the substrate part to get help with the other part of my problem !

Back