• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Needed

Zion 2018

Seedling
Hi All,

New here and in need of some help. I set up my tank last weekend with just hardscape and soil left it for a week to settle in and iron out any kinks with lights etc. I planted my first lot of plants on Saturday just gone and noticing some issues. I had ordered my plants as I was expecting my CO2 to arrive but it has not. I am currently dosing with API CO2 Booster 1ML a day as per instructions, I am also dosing Evolution Aqua 2ML per day as instructed, but I have noticed my plants seem to be experiencing some issues, please see the pictures below.

Is this due to Low CO2? My parameters are as follows;

Temperature
IMG_1260.jpg
- 26C
NO3 - 50
NO2 - 0
GH - 8D
KH - 10D
PH - 6.8
CL2 - 0
NH3 - 0
H2O - 3MG

I did 50% Water Change when planting and planning a 20% change tomorrow morning.

I have 15G tank, with a ehim 300 pump, using bio rings and purigen for the filter using an internal filter.

I'm not sure if what I am seeing is normal or if there is something I need to change, as I say I am waiting for my CO2 to arrive and currently using liquid CO2 and do not have a Drop Checker as that is arriving with the rest of the CO2.

Any advise and guidance sorely sort!!

"http://s446.photobucket.com/user/lionspatrol07/embed/slideshow/

Regards,

Zion.

You don’t mention lighting or lighting schedule.

Don’t trust the test kits. Very unlikely gh is 8 living in London. More like 20 and ph of 8.
Check on your water supplier website for exact figures.

Bigger water changes needed to begin with. 50%+ every 2 days ideally to begin with.

A few whole tank pics will help.

Apologies sorry thought I had mentioned lighting, this is on 7 hours a day at 80%. I have attached some more pictures to the album.

Hi Zion
Don't panic yet.
Your plants are planted recently.Its very likely when U bought them they are from a nursery grown emersed.It takes time for them to settle in and adapt for life underwater.U need to reduce your photoperiod to about 4-6hours till your CO2 comes that will slow things down.Keep cleaning the damaged leaves and changing water.Once CO2 comes and U tune it up still keep the photoperiod 6 hours till U see new growth and increase slowly over few weeks monitoring how tank reacts.
Dont worry about fertilisers and water parameters yet.
Try to keep good oxygen levels in the tank too
Regards Konsa

Hi Konsa,

Many thanks for the reply and reassurance but I am really worried, my plants seem to be worse today than they were yesterday! Is there anything I can do to help them? I did 1/3 water change today? I spent a lot of money on these I feel like they are dying and I'm doing nothing, I have reduced the light hours down to 6 as advised above. Should I increase the light intensity, reduce it, add more CO2 Booster? Anything at all, please help!

I have added some pictures today to the album.

Regards,

Zion

Yes agree plants look fine.

You say you’ve turned your light down to 80% but What light are you using?

Big and frequent water changes is the way to go. As big as poss (no 30%!) every other day for the 1st week or so and then twice a week gradually reducing to once a week.

Keep using the fertiliser as you have been.

I guess I'm used to house and garden plants that damage the signs of dying are terminally unless action is taken ASAP. The light I have is a Fluval 10.8W light. I will increase the water changes, what % would you advise?

I will push it to 60% as mathematically that makes it easier. And I think my biggest concern is the tears and holes appearing in the leafs, they only appeared yesterday.

Hi, the plants have only been in the tank for 3 days. Stick with your plan.

You'll no doubt lose some plants, it happens, and it is annoying and expensive. But that's life.

You really need to give plants at least 6 weeks to settle and sort themselves out in my experience. Don't go mad changing every variable everyday.

Hi all,

So I have been doing 60% water changes every other day, but this morning I have noticed that some of my leaves are falling off and are fully opaque, clearly there is a deficiency somewhere but I'm not sure what. This particular plant was planted with an iron tablet at the roots at the time of purchase. Please the additional pictures and advise.

Regards,
Zion.

This is pretty normal. Plants adjust to submerged growth, and sometimes leaves that were grown out of water just die off. Its normal.

The plants have been in the tank for how long? Less than 10 days? A deficiency would be unlikely to show up so fast.

Concentrate more on whether plants are showing signs of new growth, rather than worrying about them losing old growth.

If nothing growing, lots of stuff is looking.like it's dying or there's lots of algae appearing then it might be time to.think about your regime.

But at the moment I still think your plants look fine, and as I would expect at this stage.

Hi
The only deficiency is the CO2 as while being grow emersed they had 400ppm CO2 now underwater without injection (30ppm optimal but still much lower) they have sth like 5ppm.Some leaves will die off inevitably ,they are not suitable for life underwater as others keep telling U.
Lower light reduces the CO2 demmand thats why we always advice doing that first when there are structural related(leaves die off) problems with plants.Fastest growing ones (stems ) will show that first and the impact on them will be biggest but once they settle in will recover fastest.There is Cryptocorine melt too.Sometimes the Cryptocorines melt completely when moved to new conditions even between tanks or after a large waterchange.But then recover.There will be some plants that no matter how much U like them and try them will not grow in your conditions just try sth else.I never grown successfully Hotonia palustris even in high tech and is easy class plant.I have been there and broke the bank few times trying.
Keep tank clean to keep algae at bay and be patient as everyone is advising.
Regards Konsa

Hi there,

New Tank Syndrome, very common for this to happen. The only real issue I can see with your plants is the dark green algae spotting on the Anubias Plants, the rest look fine.

This is totally down to too much light, with too little amount of CO2 and not enough fertiliser.

A 7 hour lighting period without sufficient CO2 and or ferts is too long.

Don't panic, just get your CO2 cranked up, lower the lighting, add more ferts, let the plant roots get established, clean any Anubias leave with algae on them with a toothbrush or cut them off altogether.

As a a last resort add Seachem Flourish Excel but don't overdose it and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Steve

Back