• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help needed please neon tetra had large eye

Deano3

Can anyone help i went to feed fish and one seems to have one large eye and seems to be struggling to breath and just floating around looking generally unwel and also very dull colour ,looked online and seen popeye disease could this be that ?

Think i need to remove him from tank and need a humane way to do it and will my other fish he safe ?

Dean
86c6c4f0d0246521f55a641d0916441d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Yes, remove from tank

For euthanasia, I’ll let you do your own research - as fish appears to be quite close to death anyway, it will likely seem to slip away with little response - clove oil is often suggested as a “home remedy” but after I carefully followed directions only to have some fish react extremely adversely .....

For the tank, as usual - change a lot of water, thoroughly vacuum substrate as much as possible, remove debris, clean filters ... optimum water quality always improves fish health
Consider any environmental stressors, and try to eliminate them

“Popeye” is more a symptom than a diagnosis - underlying issue may be bacterial, parasitic, previous physical trauma etc

After the major tank clean, I’d do large daily water changes (with continued attention to debris removal/substrate vacuuming (all surfaces really that may harbour pathogens)) for the next week
Then alternate day water changes and so on
If all fish appear fine after a couple weeks increased maintenance, assume any crisis has likely passed

Aquarium details?
Livestock?

It’s likely this fish has been showing some signs of illness (for a few days to weeks) but may have been playing least in sight etc, so try to spend 10-20min sitting very quietly near the tank and observe individual fish
If you feed a small amount, every healthy fish should be out as part of the ravenous hoard - depending on species, but definitely normal activity for most SA tetras, then fall back into normal behaviour patterns within a few minutes

Yes, remove from tank

For euthanasia, I’ll let you do your own research - as fish appears to be quite close to death anyway, it will likely seem to slip away with little response - clove oil is often suggested as a “home remedy” but after I carefully followed directions only to have some fish react extremely adversely .....

For the tank, as usual - change a lot of water, thoroughly vacuum substrate as much as possible, remove debris, clean filters ... optimum water quality always improves fish health
Consider any environmental stressors, and try to eliminate them

“Popeye” is more a symptom than a diagnosis - underlying issue may be bacterial, parasitic, previous physical trauma etc

After the major tank clean, I’d do large daily water changes (with continued attention to debris removal/substrate vacuuming (all surfaces really that may harbour pathogens)) for the next week
Then alternate day water changes and so on
If all fish appear fine after a couple weeks increased maintenance, assume any crisis has likely passed

Aquarium details?
Livestock?

It’s likely this fish has been showing some signs of illness (for a few days to weeks) but may have been playing least in sight etc, so try to spend 10-20min sitting very quietly near the tank and observe individual fish
If you feed a small amount, every healthy fish should be out as part of the ravenous hoard - depending on species, but definitely normal activity for most SA tetras, then fall back into normal behaviour patterns within a few minutes
Thanks so much for that mate i did unfortunately remove him yesterday night as he was not healthy.

I will do as you have advised so thanks so much for the help i was actually thinking of doing a rescape today so may do that and remove all plants etc and give substrate a good hoover.

Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back