• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help me thin this list of plants down

GreenNeedle

Just to give you the vision I want. You may notice all the plants below are pretty fine leaved. I am after a mix of reds/yellows/greens. Sort of autumnal if you like.

Please don't thin down by saying 'hard to grow' or similar to that. I'm game for anything so lets assume they are all easy to grow for the purposes of this exercise. I can achieve super- highlight or super-lowlight with my lighting rig and pressurised will definitey be on for this project. Hard to get hold of is acceptable as a reason to remove from the list. Experiences with them would be cool too.

I want to end up with 6 or so sp and not the whole list2 of each colouration if you like.

So the list. I have put next to them the colour I think they are (after searching through loads of piccies) so please advise me if I've got the colour totally wrong or if the tips are the only bit to be X colour etc:

Green Rotala Rotundifolia green
Green Limnophila sessiliflora
Green Hygrophila balsamica
Green Limnophila aquatica
Green Tonina sp. 'Belem'
Green Eriocaulon setaceum
Green Hetheranthera zosterifolia
Green Ludwigia arcuata
Green Ceratophyllum submersum
Green Hottonia palustris
Green Hygrophyla corymbosa "angustifolia
Green Hygrophila difformis
Green Rotala hippuris
Green Rotala sp. 'Vietnam
Green Tonina sp. 'Manaus

Yellow Myriophyllum mezianumits
Yellow Didiplis diandra
Yellow Ceratophyllum demersum
Yellow Eustralis Stelata
Yellow Rotala sp. Colorata
Yellow Proserpinaca palustris

Red Myriophyllum mattogrossense 'red'
Red Myriophyllum aquaticum
Red Myriophyllum heterophyllum
Red Rotala wallichii
Red Cabomba furcata
Red Limnophila aromatica
Red Cabomba Piauhyensis
Red Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Red Rotala Rotundifolia

Looking forward to your advice and opinions guys

Regards
AC

Whoah... that is one long list to choose from. The way I do it is to choose 2 or 3 plants that I MUST HAVE. Then choose the others to contrast/complement the few.

Some highly personal opinions -
Hetheranthera zosterifolia - will grow very leggy with lotsa roots everywhere, only looks good in a big tank hidden behind a very effect midground. I personally feel it looks real nice from above, but not so nice from the sides.
Ludwigia arcuata - is supposed to be a red plant?
Didiplis diandra - quite indistinguisable from Rotala sp green, so don't place them next to each other
Eustralis stelata - one of my favourites because of its variable coloration but it easily overgrows small tanks
Prosepinaca palustris - wanna try this myself one day, really love its shape and texture
Rotala sp red/green - "evergreen" plant, looks good in most scapes, just a bit common

Hope that helps, don't have any experience with the others

Back