• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help me get back into my tank.

Abarth_1200

So I have 60L with soil and gravel with some plants and then some Java fern and Anubias.

I want a proper planted tank, without algae. I would prefer to have plants I can trim and not have to replant roots all the time. I have everything I need to set up co2 properly meaning regulator, tank, diffusers etc. I have decent lighting with full spectrum. I wish to learn about fertilising, trace and macro?!

Can anyone link me some stickys regarding co2 initial setup and what I'm looking for other than just green in the drop checker.

Fert dosing, I keep reading EI dosing but ultimately after reading several essays on it I don't have an answer on what fertiliser and how much/ when etc. I get that it's based on my plants and water but give me a clue, an initial idea of what to do.

Plants, how do I know what to trim, what sort to plant if I trim it, how much to trim, where it should be planted. I get that websites state the obvious things like where to plant it, but they don't give you any instructions on care, feeding, trimming, etc.

I've posted on several different sections of this group with different questions. Some about my other tank which is currently sitting dry with montecarlo in it. But I wan to get plants in and co2 running on the established tank. External filtered. 25 degrees. Ph6.8 gh3-4 kh3-4 no ammonia no nitrite last I checked nitrate was around 50

Thanks for reading I hope somebody understands how overwhelming a new hobby is, it's taken me a year to get thhe fed up stage enough to ask for help as it seems everyone should know how to care for plants

That’s a lot of info you’re asking for. But answers to most of your questions can be found in the Tutorial section as @goldscapes mentions above. Best advice is read and then read some more.

Then get your tank up and running and start a journal. You’ll then be able to learn through practical experience as well. Other members can offer advice and answer questions etc along the way. And hopefully help guide you to success.

As others say, read, but also I'd say, as a newbie, go slow, use the first year to learn, start with easy plants, a few hardy fish. Don't be put off by what doesn't work. Don't expect to make a lush carpet and perfect tank. I still don't understand ferts, but I try to watch the plants and keep reading. Personally I'm glad I don't use CO2. Trimming is easier without CO2, and pretty rare. Slow down and learn with the plants rather than being over awed by the experts here – who are all helpful anyway.

I guess around 2011 l became fascinated by what was acheived with the planted tank. Lucky a lot of magazine articles by George Farmer at around then explained everything. Then l later read Tim's two part article The Soil Substrate---. which then led me to UKAPS.I know at first take pressurized CO2 as example drop checker,diffuser, inline, photoperiod all seems confusing but by reading the tutorials and journals everything gets explained

Last edited by a moderator:
Back