• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Help me finish this hardscape

Grotevos

Hi!

I'm working on a new tank, it's a 45p.
I started out wanting a nice and straightforward nature style but ended up with this :) I'm actually very happy with the rocks but I still want some wood in there and that's where I can't decide / am not happy. I'm looking for a best out of these three or other suggestions and ideas,thanks!
PXL_20211228_214326757.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220101_211650503.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220101_213305937.PORTRAIT.jpg

I really like the right hand side, for the LHS I think you should try more branch type, the large wood knot doesn't work I think. You might be planning to completely cover that with moss or stems but it's the LHS that needs a change. The stone and the tiers look great, a small change and it'll look super

I really like the right hand side, for the LHS I think you should try more branch type, the large wood knot doesn't work I think. You might be planning to completely cover that with moss or stems but it's the LHS that needs a change. The stone and the tiers look great, a small change and it'll look super
Exactly my thoughts, I've been trying to "fix" the left side for two weeks now. I tried out different pieces of wood, with different sizes, etc.. It's starting to frustrate me so much I'm thinking about breaking the left side down and moving the big front rock on the left more to the right, forgetting about the path and seeing how that looks. The only thing holding me back is that I really like the rocks as they are and if I break it down I might not be able to recreate it if I dont like it without the left side and the path.

Looks super, well done. I agree with the above, and also it might look even better if you try to exaggerate the perspective by widening the path at the front and closing the gap at the back a little more. It should give you more depth.

Looks super, well done. I agree with the above, and also it might look even better if you try to exaggerate the perspective by widening the path at the front and closing the gap at the back a little more. It should give you more depth.
Thanks, and when I decide to keep this the path needs some more work too

Looks really nice! Can't wait to see it with plants! I have nothing to offer in terms of advice - I wish I had just a little bit of talent for this.

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks! I think you have those with talent and those who get better by doing it again and again. I'm definitely in the last category. Just keep trying!

Thanks! I think you have those with talent and those who get better by doing it again and again. I'm definitely in the last category. Just keep trying!
Thanks! Yes, my "scapes" amount to throwing in a few pieces of wood and plant heavily :) Its OK, but I wish I had more of a vision... Next time I redo a tank, I will try to be more conscious about what I am doing scape-wise. I usually run my tanks for several years before changing things, and I might redo one of them later this year. UKAPS would be my go-to to find one for inspiration... well, it could end you being yours :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Nicer than anything I have done :)

I would try to redo the wood on the left of the path. Maybe something taller than the wood on the right. Have it "swoop" / bend /curve down towards the path. I don't like that the 2 pieces of wood are at the same height level.

I like the arch created over the path in the 2nd photo. That's the best of the 3 IMO.

I really like the first one, all the wood having a similar direction giving a sense of movement to the piece, which is making it the superior option for me. The other 2 are nice too but feel more generic and are missing something to set it apart from similar scapes.

So, just some suggestions.

I agree with @kayjo that 2nd image works best, with the two sides of wood reaching for each other. I would then remove the thin twiggy piece on the left and use it for detail. The little arch at the back of image 3 could be recreated for example.
I would then add some more branches to the left that project up and out of the knot, leaning to the right to maintain that flow but higher up to break up the ‘same height’ issue.

Don’t be too hard on yourself though, It’s looking lovely already and is going to look fab planted up. 😊

You could maybe go without wood on the LHS completely, don't know what your plant map might be. Nothing says you need to have wood on both side and this would make the RHS even more of a focal point.

I think no wood LHS would be too imbalanced.
I'd try some wood all the way up top left and kinda point it towards the start of the path in a diagonal

Back