• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help me find a suitable new filter

Bradley

Seedling
Hey guys, I currently have a APS 1400 filter and to be honest its pretty poor, and thats a understatement.

I have a 270 litre 4 foot tank. Currently stocked with 5 discus, shoal of rummys (20), 1 pleco, shoal of panda corys(12), 2 whiptail catfish and 2 yoyos.

Its a high tech heavily planted tank with ADA substrate. My CO2 setup is a inline too on 22mm OD pipes.

Can someone recommend me a filter? I've currently got 2 wave makers to help with the flow since the APS is just terrible.

I've been recommended the aqua one ocellaris filters by my LFS by I've never seen or heard of anyone using them.

Any recommendations are welcomed!

I recommend JBL, I have a JBLe1501, giving 1400l/hr for only 23W that's £30/year running cost. They also do a 1900l/hr model, but piping is larger then the standard 16/22mm piping.

Fluval FX4/FX6 range power filters up to 3000 LPH ( 2000LPH with fluval std media) loads of media volume in FX6. Auto prime, handy extra outlet for filling draining tank also which a free gravel filter can be attached which has a handy filter attached to it so you can suck out the detritus catch it in separate prefilter without any water loss.
Not too expensive for output, worth a look IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers for the reply! What model would you recommend me?
I do not have the knowledge to make a recommendation I have a 1200 & an 800.
Try this http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
Fluval FX4/FX6 range power filters up to 3000 LPH ( 2000LPH with fluval std media) loads of media volume in FX6. Auto prime, handy extra outlet for filling draining tank also which a free gravel filter can be attached which has a handy filter attached to it so you can suck out the detritus catch it in separate prefilter without any water loss.
Not too expensive for output, worth a look IMO
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

I'm in the process of altering my fish room ready for another big tank hopefully 700 - 850 litres I've been looking at the FX6 but twice the price of the Tetratec! Is it worth it??
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

Honestly I'd love to get a FX6. I've read so much good stuff about it. However their tubing is too large for my inline, unless I can source a new inline which would work with their larger tubing, plus I'm worried their output might actually be too much for my tank.

I'd love one though .

Honestly I'd love to get a FX6. I've read so much good stuff about it. However their tubing is too large for my inline, unless I can source a new inline which would work with their larger tubing, plus I'm worried their output might actually be too much for my tank.

I'd love one though .

Well you can restrict the flow easy by the values on the top off the canister, small adjustment will have a significant change, I'm sure Ian knows the safe recommended reduction limits. Plus a short limited reduction in pipe size for the inline CO2 has less effect than having a small pipe all the way. On iPad so can't show you my solution, but it's in my journal in sig, Ian will post you his solution I think, which is a basically the sam as mine, his works out cheaper too. I was limited for space for the main valve, plus after max flow so choose a slightly different design but mine has the potential for more water leaks too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How to connect to a 16mm diffuser to 1" pipe.
upload_2016-8-17_11-42-45-png.89053.png

Do you block that off at all or just let it go like normal? Whats the valve's intended purpose, not very good with pipping if I'm honest
The valve is partly turned on/off to act as a slight block so some water flows round the 16mm section. If straight pipe was used virtually no flow would occur round the 16mm loop. Using the valve means you can fiddle with the flow round the 16mm loop.

I have seen this implemented in both solvent welded PVC pipe as well as clipped together pipe adapters and PVC tubing.

I would use a 25mm y piece with two 25-16mm reducers and you could have one for co2 and the other for an inline heater then reverse the first section to return to single pipe +++++<==co2/heater==>++++

Love the sketch haha.
Far easier than using a drawing package. Sketch on paper, scan to .JPG file and cut and paste straight into reply.

One shop I saw had an FX6 feeding to a Y splitter, which then fed to either end of a spray bar located across the back of the tank (tank was 1200mm width). Not too sure of pipe diameters, but was possibly 16/22mm after the split.

Back