• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help identifying bugs please?

FISHnLAB

Hey guys, I just did a water change on my new shrimp tank and noticed that I have a bunch of tiny fast swimming bugs that I have never seen before. I'm thinking they came in with some new shrimp and plants I just received. They swim in fast bursts and can walk around quickly on the side walls. It's extremely hard to get a good pic as they are so small. They appear to have a cylindrical/tear drop shaped brownish body with two little flipperish things that are greenish and leaf shaped. Here is a couple of pic, I'll see if I can get some better ones. So, what do you think they are? Copopods maybe? Water Flees? Baby Shrimp fry? I really have no idea. Thanks for the help guys👍.

Any ideas@dw1305?

Last edited:
Hi all,
Copepods...its a good sign.
Hey guys, I just did a water change on my new shrimp tank and noticed that I have a bunch of tiny fast swimming bugs .........They swim in fast bursts and can walk around quickly on the side walls. ...........They appear to have a cylindrical/tear drop shaped brownish body with two little flipperish things that are greenish and leaf shaped..... So, what do you think they are? Copepods
Any ideas@dw1305?
Yes, Copepods and probably Cyclops. They move in that <"characteristic manner">. The "saddle-bags" are egg sacks.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Ok, so nothing to worry about and just a healthy part of my new ecosystems. Thanks guys👍.

They are going pretty well but, I think I have a magnesium deficiency...

Back