• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help deciding which fish could be the right one

Lapul

Hi All

After years i found finally time to complete the setup of my tank.
Now i have enough time to check that everything works.
Dimensions are 120x35x25h
Critical points:
1- No Heater lowest temp registered this winter 20c and i think that in summer could reach 28c for two weeks, normally i have air conditioning at 25c
2- water parameter not ideal even with dosing RO water -Tap water in 60:40
KH 2
GH 11...a little better than previous weeks
pH 6.8/7
Something is lowering KH (maybe plant?)
Something is rising GH (maybe the substrate?)
Tds tank 215/220 ppm
Tds Tap water about 300ppm
With KH 8 and GH 12
3- Substrate Flourite and flourite sand.
Lava rocks
Anubias-Vesicularia-Bacopa C. And partially emersed Hydrocotiyle

Is not easy...
I would like some schooling fish with caridina maybe amano or red cherry.
I like very much corydoras but the substrate may be not the best...
White cloud mountain m. Should be ok for low temp less in high
Rasbora needs much less hard water

Thanks a lot
Cris

Attachments

• PXL_20230209_171159550~3.jpg
    PXL_20230209_171159550~3.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 241
Hi there,

Yours is a tricky one. Hard water, higher flow and very open with not many places to hide. Most fish won't like.

However, fish from Lake Inlé, Myanmar, can live temperate and do well in hard water. Sawbwa resplendens, for example. They might prove to be too skittish in your tank, though.

There's also several Danio, Devario and Puntius species from Myanmar. They'll like the amount of flow you have, but I'm not sure if they're jumpers or not. You'll have to search which ones you like and if they can handle your water parameters. Not every fish likes the harder water.

Livebearers from Mexico and surrounding countries are perhaps also a good choice, although the bigger ones like X. helleri might snack on the shrimps. Lots of variations in colours and forms, but imo nothing beats natural.

Thanks a lot!!
Sawbwa resplendens is very interesting!
I don't know if they are easy to find in store.
They prefer cold water, in summer when i go mountain, in Milano temperature inside home can reach 29c in the two-three weeks that i am away and air conditioning is turned off.
Anyway great little fish. And one to take into consideration.
Actually after 5 weeks water Gh has gone done a bit...8 GH today and KH 2
Unfortunately TDS are at quite high level 270 ppm.
I will add other moss and maybe other plants.
Filtration it is nit that high (Tidal 35) and i can lower it a bit, i have tried to give some circulation adding as surface skimmer on the other side.
Danio rerio
Cherry barb
White cloud mountain (adding a small fan)
Rummy nose rasbora (adding a small fan)
One of these !
Thanks really appreciated

Cris

Attachments

• PXL_20230221_110943998.jpg
    PXL_20230221_110943998.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20230224_123434071.jpg
    PXL_20230224_123434071.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20230215_095037741.jpg
    PXL_20230215_095037741.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 107
  • PXL_20230221_110719379.jpg
    PXL_20230221_110719379.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20230221_093625074.jpg
    PXL_20230221_093625074.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 122
We have guests now!:)

Attachments

• PXL_20230309_115028867-01.jpeg
    PXL_20230309_115028867-01.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
OMG
I can not find Shrimps anymore in the tank:eek:
This evening i have verified in the filter too!
Nothing... disappeared :nailbiting:

Shrimp can be very good at hiding, but saying that i have given up with amano shrimp, was getting fed up with finding them on the opposite side of the room to the tank 😧. I would have a look around the the tank and down the back.

Shrimp can be very good at hiding, but saying that i have given up with amano shrimp, was getting fed up with finding them on the opposite side of the room to the tank 😧. I would have a look around the the tank and down the back.
Oh no...
Around no sign of shrimps..
I can not shift the shelf, now, one is appeared with light turned off but 1/5
All the shrimps have this hobby? To jump out of the tank or is an Amano shrimps proficiency?:rolleyes:

All the shrimps have this hobby? To jump out of the tank or is an Amano shrimps proficiency?:rolleyes:
The latter. Amano shrimp are very good escape artists.
If a cherry shrimp is out of water, it pretty much just stays there and flops around, whereas amano shrimp can actually walk when out of the water. If you net them, they can even climb up the net and get out.

When I first had them in my quarantine tank, I randomly found one walking across my carpet floor. They had climbed up the heater cable and out of the tank. Cherry shrimp can't really do this (at least not as easily), but they could still jump out of the tank if the water level is high enough. Cherries tend to stay in the tank though.

Generally, amano shrimp won't attempt to leave the tank if they're happy.

Thanks to all
I will check carefully i the next days, it is not easy to find them, they are almost invisible too:banghead:
Cris

Hi all
Unfortunately Sawbwa r. are too difficult to be found, almost impossible :(, what a pity.
What about Notropis? Too big for the shallow tank? And for shrimps...
Microdevario Kubotai? Too small :facepalm:and not suitable for my tank parameter?
Temp min 68F
KH 2
GH 7
TDS 250/270

Danio rerio
Cherry barb
White cloud mountain (adding a small fan)
Rummy nose rasbora (adding a small fan)
Danio Tinwini (prefer softer water )
Notropis (maybe too big)
Microdevario k.( Min temp too low?)

Cris

I have an additional question...
I have just added a dozen fish but they are tiny... :pompus:do you think putting another 10 is risky?
consider that tank dimensions are 120x35x25h but with several lava rocks that reduces the amount of water to no more than 20g
thanks
Cris

I have an additional question...
I have just added a dozen fish but they are tiny... :pompus:do you think putting another 10 is risky?
consider that tank dimensions are 120x35x25h but with several lava rocks that reduces the amount of water to no more than 20g
thanks
Cris
Personally I would give it a couple of weeks between adding batches of fish to allow the biome time to multiply.
I can't see any reason to not add some snails and/or shrimp though if you are going down that route.
Cheers!

Well it's doable, just keep a keen eye on your Ammonia and Nitrite levels and be ready for frequent water changes.
👍
I would add more female...they are stressed a lot by the male

Attachments

• PXL_20230317_115841349-01.jpeg
    PXL_20230317_115841349-01.jpeg
    634.1 KB · Views: 79
Is there any chance you can reserve them, perhaps with a small deposit, at the shop and pick them up in a couple of weeks? Most shops are quite accommodating if you ask.

Well it's doable, just keep a keen eye on your Ammonia and Nitrite levels and be ready for frequent water changes.
👍
I would add more female...they are stressed a lot by the male
Is there any chance you can reserve them, perhaps with a small deposit, at the shop and pick them up in a couple of weeks? Most shops are quite accommodating if you ask.
Maybe but is quite far away 50+50km and i am here today :rolleyes:

Back