• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello

Julii

Hi all

I'm new here, I found this forum a few days ago when looking at red spot disease online and it looked like a decent forum so I thought I'd join.

I've got a 56L tank with the following fish

4x Zebra Nerite Snails
5x red cherry shrimp
7x Cardinal Tetra (I asked for 6 and paid for 6 but there was a bonus fish in the bag)
4x Julii Corydoras (there were 6 until a few days ago)

I thought I'd join and ask for some advice which I'll do so in another thread.

Attachments

• PXL_20240922_192802779.jpg
    PXL_20240922_192802779.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240922_192445050.jpg
    PXL_20240922_192445050.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240922_192627919.jpg
    PXL_20240922_192627919.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
The tank is due a clean tomorrow BTW so excuse the dirty glass etc, the snails aren't as thorough at cleaning as I'd hoped 😂

Thanks Murray, they're brilliant little fish and are great fun to watch. I never thought I'd be mesmerised by small catfish sifting through sand but it's happened! I'd like a bigger tank eventually with a few types of Cory in as they're definitely a firm favourite for me.

Thanks
Luke

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

As the other have said bacterial issues are difficult to treat and often a sign of some underlying problem, all you can really do is try and keep levels of ammonia etc as low as possible and dissolved oxygen levels high.

I add <"Alder "cones"> to the tanks, <"they are meant"> to have some anti-microbial properties - <"Medicinal trees: The Common Alder - Aqualog.de>, but that may just be <"Chicken soup"> as a cure.
The tank is due a clean tomorrow BTW so excuse the dirty glass etc
What do you do when you clean the tank? Particularly in terms of the filter etc.
I forgot to say I'm new to fish keeping and the tank has been going for nearly three months without issues until now.
It is still quite a new tank set-up, with quite a lot of livestock, I understand that this is where we are, but have a look at the "seasoned tank time" video in <"Dark start vs old filter media?">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks Darrel

For cleaning I use a gravel vac and clean up any poop etc off the substrate, I change 18 litres of water to make the tap safe equation nice and simple (1ml to 9 litres) which is a 32% change.

I haven't done anything with the filters until the last change where I removed one of the filter medias and cleaned it out in old tank water and I have just done the other one today. I leave algae growth alone as food for the shrimp and snails, whenever I measure ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate the first two are always on zero and nitrate very slightly shows up in the test tube as a very faint pink hue, the plants have all at least doubled in size so they're doing well.

I've watched that video from Cory a few times before already when I was setting up the tank to get my head around it all.

Back