• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Bucks

NeilO

Seedling
Hello, My name is Neil (username might have given that away :lol: ) and used to keep tropical fish back in the distant past, I was an advocate for live plants in aquariums even then trying to make them at least to my thoughts, picturesque.
However the interest has been renewed with the daughter wanting a fish tank for her 7th birthday, an interpet fishbox now some 15 months on i have almost made up my mind to pursue the adventure again, having read several threads and viewed some amazing setups, you guys (and gals) rock.

first big question would you choose a fluval roma 240, or the rio 240?

TIA
Neil

Welcome Neil,

I personally prefer the look and quality of the Juwel tanks, but then I am biased I am on my 3rd one of increasing size! If you go the Juwel route I would remove the internal filter and get a decent external filter.

Andy

Hello Neil, I've got a number of juwel aquariums and really like them. However, after looking up the fluval roma I'd say its got an instant advantage - it comes with an external filter (assuming your buying new). A lot of people take out the juwel internal 'cos it takes up room and is ugly, making it a bit of a waste of money. Another thing, I've heard a lot of people who have had trouble with the juwel lighting units (thankfully not me touch wood!) so it might be worth finding out if the fluval one has a better rep as far as (not) breaking down is concerned.

Nice size tank to start back in with. :thumbup: :)

Viv

All three of my Juwel light units have been sound. A friend had a Roma and the light unit packed up in under a year. Guess it just depends what side the coin lands!!!

Andy

I guess so! I've got three Juwels of varying size, all bought second-hand and like you had absolutely no trouble. Same with the Rio 300 I had before. Someone I know on another forum has about seven and all the light units have gone! They weren't alone in dissing them either. But, I love the juwel tanks - especially the Rios and Visions :D I'm not keen on the look of the Fluvals, something a bit too stark about them for me, but I know other people really like them.

Viv

Hi and welcome Neil. Glad you are keen to rekindle your hobby. I have recently done the same and am loving it!

Can I throw another possibility into the equation, with apologies in advance for the added decision. However I think its worth considering at this stage since I wish I had done the same. I purchased an Aqua One Aquience, which is another of many such styles.. along with the Rio and the Romas and God only knows how many other same such tanks there are available. I now wish I had not. Initially I liked the fancy trim round the bottom and top, with the integrated light hood. Now, having seen tanks like the one in Marks thread.....
Mark Evan's Amazing Scape I soon realised that to really get the look I wanted, I should have bought an open top / rimless aquarium. You don't have to get Optiwhite, as it is more expensive, but hey, buy once buy right if you can afford it. I can give you links to a couple of sites who make them at a reasonable cost. Given the size of tank you are looking at... around the 240L mark, it ought not to cost too much.

I am lucky because I can remove the rim to mine as it is braced. I think someone may even have done that to a Juwel.

Just another thing to think about though.

If you decided not to go that route, I would personally favour the Juwel. Definitely remove the filter (you can sell it on Ebay or use the parts yourself for other things.... sell the heater and buy an external inline one.. much tidier. The less bits in the tank the more room for plants ;) I prefer the Juwel over the fluval because they are deeper front to back, and that all important illusion of depth makes a difference to how good your scapes will appear.

Good luck, keep us posted, and why not start a journal. We all love watching new tanks develop. UKAPS are a helpful bunch too. Not much you need to know that people don't know on here, as I have found to my great benefit.
:wave:

Thanks for the replies..
@ Viv the Roma did appeal to me for the very reason you specifed, ie the external filter, not a great lover of internals, no matter how hard you try to disguise them , and they take up space in the tank itself.
The look of the tank is immaterial as its the contents I would be looking at, and if fluvals are indeed stark it would take nothing away from the fauna and flora inside.

@ awtong biased indeed, my friend :) but why pay for something i`m going to rip out, each to his own.

@ Antipofish hadnt noticed that the juwel are deeper than the fluvals, glad you pointed that out as you say makes a scape look all the more for the extra depth.
Mark Evans scape is stunning read through the whole thread, as are many on this site with so many wonderful examples of what can be achieved.
Sadly an open aqua is out as we have an Alaskan Malamute as part of the family, and if you know the breed you will know could stuff a mattress every six months with the amount of shed hair, cheap dogs to keep except for the new hoover every six months. :lol:

the lights are a worry , but long term was going over too LED for veiwing supplemented by T5 HO for the Flora.
didnt really look too much at buying everything individually, as buying as a package seemed to be cheaper, long term it probably does work out more, but hobbies of any sort are always a drain on the wallet from experience. :lol:

NeilO said:
Thanks for the replies..
@ Viv the Roma did appeal to me for the very reason you specifed, ie the external filter, not a great lover of internals, no matter how hard you try to disguise them , and they take up space in the tank itself.
The look of the tank is immaterial as its the contents I would be looking at, and if fluvals are indeed stark it would take nothing away from the fauna and flora inside.

@ awtong biased indeed, my friend :) but why pay for something i`m going to rip out, each to his own.

@ Antipofish hadnt noticed that the juwel are deeper than the fluvals, glad you pointed that out as you say makes a scape look all the more for the extra depth.
Mark Evans scape is stunning read through the whole thread, as are many on this site with so many wonderful examples of what can be achieved.
Sadly an open aqua is out as we have an Alaskan Malamute as part of the family, and if you know the breed you will know could stuff a mattress every six months with the amount of shed hair, cheap dogs to keep except for the new hoover every six months. :lol:

the lights are a worry , but long term was going over too LED for veiwing supplemented by T5 HO for the Flora.
didnt really look too much at buying everything individually, as buying as a package seemed to be cheaper, long term it probably does work out more, but hobbies of any sort are always a drain on the wallet from experience. :lol:

I am sure you wont be disappointed with the Juwel then. You will definitely need a decent filter though, and read some stuff on here about flow etc as that is important. You can add some TMC aquaray LED strips if you want to. They are decent LED's and have enough intensity to be considered an increase in lighting in terms of plant growth. Having said that, depending on how you want to run your tank the T5's that the juwel comes with could be enough. If you decide to get LEDs for extra light, get decent ones. If you just want them for fancy colours etc then you need not get decent ones. There are some cracking LED units out there though. You could end up very poor, lol.

Back