• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello everyone, novice checking in ...

Mattallic

Seedling
Good morning,

Thought I'd use my first post to introduce myself. Name is Matt, live in the Wolverhampton area (West Midlands).

I wanted to start a planted tank a few years back but funds didn't allow me to do what I had in mind. Well I have a little more leeway now. Just going to get Christmas out of the way and then start my project in the new year.

Plan is -
60x30x36 rimless tank, pressurised CO2, iwagumi style planted.
Carpet (possibly Monte Carlo), with maybe a few red plants to add colour. Still toying with plants.

Only want to keep Red Cherry Shrimp and snails for the beginning and then possibly add tetras or galaxy rasbora after I'm happy it's established.

This will be my first tank ever. Probably over reaching but we'll soon see lol.

I do have a quick question -

After I've got everything and fully setup, what is the general running cost? While setting up my funds can stretch pretty well within reason but after that I'm limiting myself to around £100 monthly for maintenance.

Hope to get to know you all soon,
Matt.

General running costs will be lowish, CO2, ferts, water, electricity, fish food.
I always advice to see if how and when you can get CO2 refills before you start with CO2.

Ooooh and welcome@Ukaps!

Cheers mate :thumbup:

Lucky enough, thanks to a thread on this forum with CO2 vendors, there is a Bryland Fire Protection ltd up the road from me. So all good there.

One more question for anyone who stumbles on this post. Is there a section of the forum to ask if anyone has had experience with X company?

You may like to look up crossbreeding charts for shrimp species. You should be able to get a couple of types that won't cross breed. If they cross breed they can revert to their natural colours (ie murky brown camo) :)

I have a red and orange species and even this small variation is really nice in the tank.

Shrimp wise, easiest and cheapest option is Cherry shrimps, These come in massive variety of colours and cost.
Just make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding them.

Another option is tiger shrimps but I belive these will cross breed with cherrys. (never tried)

Crystal bee are more expensive and harder to keep. (or easier to kill) I also think you need to have soft water.

You may like to look up crossbreeding charts for shrimp species. You should be able to get a couple of types that won't cross breed. If they cross breed they can revert to their natural colours (ie murky brown camo) :)

I have a red and orange species and even this small variation is really nice in the tank.

Shrimp wise, easiest and cheapest option is Cherry shrimps, These come in massive variety of colours and cost.
Just make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding them.

Another option is tiger shrimps but I belive these will cross breed with cherrys. (never tried)

Crystal bee are more expensive and harder to keep. (or easier to kill) I also think you need to have soft water.

Thank you, both of you. I guess I'll stick with Red Cherry Shrimp. Love the red with a green background.

Anyone had any experience with - http://www.midlandaquatics.gbr.cc/
I've sent them an email for a quote. Unsure what their build quality if like.

Hi and welcome! :)
You could consider Nerite snails, they live in freshwater, but can't breed there (in the wild they migrate to brackish water to breed). There are a few different types, including striped, spotted etc.

Hi and welcome! :)
You could consider Nerite snails, they live in freshwater, but can't breed there (in the wild they migrate to brackish water to breed). There are a few different types, including striped, spotted etc.

Just done a Google search. Some of those morphs are really nice looking - imagine these on a green background. :thumbup:

Gold-Racer-Nerite-11_1024x1024.jpg

Welcome to UKAPS. going the pressurised CO route,means more time/. maintenance. Still have a great planted tank low tech

Welcome! If you go down the cherry shrimp route with them you can keep tiger shrimp with them without the risk of them cross breeding. I've got tangerine tigers with my cherrys. They're almost as bullet proof as cherrys and also breed readily so are a good choice to go for if you're a beginner rather than the bee shrimp which can be abit more demanding.

Cheers

Conor

Back