• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heater opinions please

oscar

Hi Guys,
I’m looking for a internal tank heater, for 100 litre tank(aquascaper 600)
I have had in the past the fluval m series which was excellent. It needs to be silver in colour with very limited other colors( as has to blend in with the glass lily pipes.

Any ideas?!

I will be posting a journal later as I’m going for the full aquascaper 600/ cabinet set up.
I did think of going for the oase external filter with built in heater, but have heard bad reviews over clogged up pre filter/ heater running dry...

Much appreciated

Schego titanium heaters are silver and come in 100-600w sizes, but need a temperature controller to regulate temperature as they do not have a thermostat.
Best heaters on the market but that is just my opinion.

I'm perfectly happy with the Marina ones. All I can say, which I'm sure you already know, is avoid the cheap chinese ones. I bought one for a nano tank and it exploded!

Schego titanium heaters are silver and come in 100-600w sizes, but need a temperature controller to regulate temperature as they do not have a thermostat.
+1 on them; amazing heaters that you don't hear of going wrong.
They come at a price but a controller is cheap and easy to come across ready to go now instead of fitting them into a case and adding sockets etc DIY.
I've actually just ordered a controller to add in as a safety for my inline and is an Elitech just like I used on my marine and I know many others do too
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produ...yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My first and last experience with Titanium or Stainless steel heater was rather negative.. It was internaly damaged and it leaked power to the tank water.
My tanks aren't grounded and one da i made the studid mistake to touch the water without unplugging electrical devices. And i got a shock and a nice punky coupe ravage..

Anyway after investigation it was the titanium heater, i don't know what damaged it it just was.. Maybe i forgot it to unplug one day during a water change, or maybe it fell out of my hands on the floor i do not recall. Maybe it was a DOA (Dangerous on arrival).. I haven't got a clue.

It also wasn't the most expensive heater i ever bought. Anyway, since nowadays higher priced articles do not realy say much about their true quality. You just have to put your trust in it and hope for the best..

I don't any longer with titanium heaters.. i know glass heaters, if you forget to unplug them during a WC they crack open after refilling the tank with cold water. If you drop 'm on the floor Dito they wont survive it. :) Very obvious, with a titanium you just don't know..

What ever is told to me, i never ever buy a 220 VAC titanium heater again, i learned my lesson.. :thumbup:

How difficult is it to find a heater which is less than 300mm , good make/ reviews above par??
Will be going into a tank only 360 high so I want one as compact as possible.
Just for reference tank is 100litre, so I presume 150w is ideal.

M

I did think of going for the oase external filter with built in heater, but have heard bad reviews over clogged up pre filter/ heater running dry...

Think you need to think why it got clogged up - lack of maintenance springs to mind and using too fine a prefilter second, Pre filter should be cleaned at least weekly IMO more if a a big trim has been done daily till it settles IMO.

I use to clean my FX6 weekly to keep output optimal, How long does it take to clean an oase prefilter :rolleyes: :banghead:

Zenus I take your point, Oase was my first choice and supposedly it’s very quick/simple to clean pre filter.
I’m now re- thinking the idea of reverting back to purchasing this one :crazy:

I really like the simplicity and size of this heater, could I get some advice on a thermostat ?? Which one/ don't want to be paying a fortune as heater is pricey enough. Also is it just a case of plugging it in setting the temp?!? Sorry for the obviously dumb questions, but never used one :thumbup:

I personally use an aqua medic T-Controller, but mine is for marine so I also run fans from it as well, It is pricey but worth it for marines, not sure about cost effective for freshwater as I use Hydor inline heaters for my tropical tanks. I think a lot of people use elitech controller but I have no experience with them.
The Aqua Medic is basically plug in, set temperature and you're good to go.
Hopefully somebody with experience of the elitech one will offer some advice on that particular unit.

Back