• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Heat mat for DSM

Hey guys,
After a failed attempt of buying a 'heat mat' which actually produces heat (exo terra - Forrest mat. Meant to 'keep substrate warm in vivs but didn't even steam a closed off tank up :/ ) , I'm wondering if anyone else can advise me on a Mat that will do the job? Need one about 150x250mm.

Would one like this be okay?
http://bit.ly/1bjab7N

Any better ideas?

Cheers,
N

Hi all, I've got a "Rootit" mat and thermostat for the glasshouse at work, and that seems pretty good. Amazon etc sell them.

cheers Darrel

Hey Darrel,
Thanks for the reply. does the one you use get warm to the touch? ( seems very silly question, but I was told the exo terra one isn't meant to!! Ha someone's Been having my eyes out!)
Need it to warm to increase humidity in a covered tank :)

Cheers,
N

Hey FF,

Got this off the guy I bougHt the last one from :
"Hi, the heat mat does not actually produce any real heat as such, they are designed to stop the substrate from getting too cold, a bit like insulation really. Thanks for your question"

And :
"We are often asked why the addition of a heat mat to a tank doesn’t raise the temperature or appear to get hot. This is not a fault with the heat mat as this type of heater is designed to emit a low level of infrared heat which warms the objects that it comes into contact with gradually; much like a rock would do after absorbing the suns energy and releasing it when an animal sits snugly on top to bask"

I honestly think it wasn't working at all, just unstuck it from bottom of tank and chucked it ha.

I'll look into one of them as Darrel mentioned, doesn't have to be hot just warm to push humidity up.

40W is not a lot really. Even the a small in tank heater is 100-200W.

The heating mats I have seen being used for DSM are in the 100-200W region.

40W is not a lot really. Even the a small in tank heater is 100-200W.

The heating mats I have seen being used for DSM are in the 100-200W region.

In such small area? Such as 25x35cm?

The one Darrel linked to is said to be able to lift temperature to between 5.5 -11 degrees C above ambient, which should put it between 22-29?

Back