• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Melt

Mark Evans

Expert
having good flow may one part, but you need to make sure that flow gets to the bottom part of the tank.this is where powerheads come into play. :thumbup:

skeletonw00t said:
Also im pretty sure my conditions in my tank are good as I have a java fern thats growing well and i planted some Limnophila sessiliflora the other day and it has literally doubled in size over 2 days! For some reason my pogostemen doesnt seem to be growing very well either...
Comparing Java fern with HC isn't going to work as they are very different plants with very different demands.

HC loves light, but loves co2 even more. Crank it up, carefully watching the fish don't suffer. 20x flow is plenty, but is co2 and ferts reaching all parts of the tank consistently?

What kind of algae were you getting? This might be a clue that your distribution is generally inadequate in this tank. How is your flow distributed? Is that P. helferi that you mentioned was also not doing well? That should also be a clue. Adding more light won't solve this problem. This is a CO2/flow/distribution issue as mentioned by the other posters.

Cheers,

Then it's Co2, also, how do you know your filter is producing 750lph? Have you measured it. I'm certain you had a thread saying your filter was producing a barely discernable flow?
Hc I found to need higher than average levels of Kno3 dosing, that might help. I'd follow james' advice and up co2 and Ceg's they're some of the most knowledgable on here. Can you see the hc moving in the flow? Can you see bubbles of co2 hitting the leaves?
What are you dosing? Try moving the Koralia about and see if that helps, try aiming it where you have issues.

Garuf said:
Try moving the Koralia about and see if that helps, try aiming it where you have issues.

something i used to think. maybe think the other way around....point the korolia is such away that it hits a pane of glass, then pushes the water down and across the tank in slower water movement patterns?.....

rather than forcing water at problem areas, thus causing co2 enriched water to push past the plants too quickly?.....

i might be wrong though :crazy:

my 120cm does not hit the 10x flow rule.

Back