• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?

@dw1305 @lazybones51 @Tim Harrison

Gents you three all also expressed an interested here in getting ahold of females so this is just a heads up that I was finally able to acquire a definite female yesterday from 'riverparkaquatics' on ebay. They got a small batch in and said there were two that they thought might be female, I rushed over to their warehouse and there was one, which I bought. I just thought it might be worth knowing that they have a supplier that, accidentally or not, sometimes sends females along with the males - and that the guys working there have a pretty good idea what they look like. This is exactly the sort of tip off I was looking for when I started this thread so hopefully it might be useful to someone.
Here's a picture of the female. This was taken yesterday right after her drip acclimation was finished and overnight the dark vertical bars characteristic of many of the females have become more apparent.
View attachment 165847
So great that you managed to track one down! Are you going to become the new UK supplier? 😉

So great that you managed to track one down! Are you going to become the new UK supplier? 😉
I'm certainly going to do everything in my power to breed them. I need to hope I can keep this one happy and healthy but she's eating well and exploring her tank a lot today so I'm hopeful. There's another member here that has some pairs they're trying to breed too. One way or another I think pairs will gradually become more available. I will definitely share any fry that I produce.

Gents you three all also expressed an interested here in getting ahold of females so this is just a heads up that I was finally able to acquire a definite female yesterday from 'riverparkaquatics' on ebay. They got a small batch in and said there were two that they thought might be female, I rushed over to their warehouse and there was one, which I bought. I just thought it might be worth knowing that they have a supplier that, accidentally or not, sometimes sends females along with the males - and that the guys working there have a pretty good idea what they look like. This is exactly the sort of tip off I was looking for when I started this thread so hopefully it might be useful to someone.
Here's a picture of the female. This was taken yesterday right after her drip acclimation was finished and overnight the dark vertical bars characteristic of many of the females have become more apparent.
View attachment 165847
Thanks for the heads up, really appreciated 👍🏼 Can I ask what you paid?

Thanks for the heads up, really appreciated 👍🏼 Can I ask what you paid?
£5. Not bad considering I've offered more than £100 for a female D. dario recently and been quite understandably refused. I am going to spoil this fish.
She's still quite small and maybe a little underweight so I'm going to condition her for a while but once she's paired up and healthy I will document any breeding attempts here. I culture a lot of small livefoods anyway but I've been looking at some bulk live mini bloodworms shipped in wet paper on ebay, I'm sure I remember reading on here years ago though that people had been having problems with mass fish die offs from disease and parasites associated with these though but I might recall incorrectly. Does anyone have any input on their safety?

View attachment 165847
Good find

Last edited:
Hello,

Can any of you help sex this one (stalker (say it like your a farmer ;) stalkaa )) for me ?

I'm thinking it's a sub dominant but I've never seen any colour or stripping on stalkaa

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_193933.jpg
    IMG_20210328_193933.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 224
Hello,

Can any of you help sex this one (stalker (say it like your a farmer ;) stalkaa )) for me ?

I'm thinking it's a sub dominant but I've never seen any colour or stripping on stalkaa

Many thanks
That looks like a female to me. I think the fact that juveniles don't necessarily display their adult colours makes it particularly hard to tell from photos though. @MirandaB gave me a good tip about the females head looking a little different in profile and slightly less pointed. Does it ever show even feint dark vertical bands? almost every female of this species I've ever seen has to some degree.

Thanks both for your replies

So I've had two around 7/8 now there separated in the own tanks
The male is very clearly male not the most red you've ever seen but amazing iridiscents (spelt terribly I know) he is noticeably bigger two.

This one that's pictured is smaller slightly different shape and has shown stripes on less than a handful of occasions and they were grey not red in the slightest

I separated them as a plan to "trick" him/her into thinking it's the dominant fish and potentially showing colour but it's never happened

I'd love to reintroduce them and see if nature takes its course but am very very apprehensive about doing so ?

Thanks for responses it's really appreciated

Thanks both for your replies

So I've had two around 7/8 now there separated in the own tanks
I don't understand what you mean, two around 7/8?
The male is very clearly male not the most red you've ever seen but amazing iridiscents (spelt terribly I know) he is noticeably bigger two.

This one that's pictured is smaller slightly different shape and has shown stripes on less than a handful of occasions and they were grey not red in the slightest

I separated them as a plan to "trick" him/her into thinking it's the dominant fish and potentially showing colour but it's never happened

I'd love to reintroduce them and see if nature takes its course but am very very apprehensive about doing so ?

Thanks for responses it's really appreciated
If the fish in the picture has shown grey stripes I'd say with a very high degree of certainty that it's a female, I've never seen a male with dark stripes and I've never seen a female without them. I don't think there is much reason to be apprehensive about putting the male and female together, supposedly the males can sometimes bother them trying to mate when they're not ready but I wouldn't have thought it's a major risk in a reasonably sized tank. @MirandaB can probably give better advice as until recently I only had experience with males and I've still got my new female, Queen Tomyris, on her own while I fatten her up a bit.

Apologies I meant 7-8 weeks

yeah Ive just purchased a tank to Scape to move my tetra into then the Scarlett's will have that tank to themselves bar the cleanup crew

The tank has alot of cover and heavily planted hopefully they enjoy each other company

Thanks again

Apologies I meant 7-8 weeks

yeah Ive just purchased a tank to Scape to move my tetra into then the Scarlett's will have that tank to themselves bar the cleanup crew

The tank has alot of cover and heavily planted hopefully they enjoy each other company

Thanks again
@OmlettG you are part of a very, very exclusive club now. I'd like to help anyone trying to breed these fish in the UK anyway I can so if you want just PM me your address and I'll send you starter cultures of Moina macrocopa/micrura and Chlorella vulgaris for free. Moina can be a really useful live food for fish this size and they are very prolific.

I introduced my female to a male yesterday and I was very interested to see that she had a very strong reaction to him. Even when he was still floating in a bag she recognised him almost immediately and watched him intently the entire time he was acclimating, they've been moving around the tank together hunting mostly as a unit since then. I didn't expect them to interact with each other so much outside of breeding.
When she showed such a strong interest in him in the bag I actually wondered whether I might have made a terrible mistake and she was another subdominant male after all but once they were together she started flashing her dark bars confirming beyond doubt that they're a real pair.
So much character for such small fish.

Confirmed sighting just now of 2 fry in one tank!! 😁

Amazing! that looks quite well developed too, how old do you reckon it is? Did you notice them guarding the eggs or any other behaviour that might have tipped you off or were these a total surprise? I'd love to see some pictures of your set up for the pairs miranda just so I know what definitely works.

No idea how old they are but they're big enough not to be threatened by the adults,certainly saw the female swimming with them and they weren't bothered so they obviously know how big they need to be before putting in a public appearance lol.
Didn't notice any real changes in behaviour if I'm honest and I've been studying them quite closely but was just feeding them when I noticed the fry swimming in the open so that was a surprise.
That pair are in a 15lt and the other pair are in a 28lt,not noticed any fry in the bigger tank yet but I'm planning on moving the adults all into a 75lt tank and leaving them to it as advised by my friend in Germany.
Will take some photos of the tanks in a bit but they're literally just rammed with moss and hornwort plus a few other plants.

Well in an utterly embarrassing (for me) update those fry turned out to be Paraphanius mento,wondered why they were at the surface so much and seemed a bit long:facepalm:🤣
How they got in there I don't know as I'm almost certain I never nicked any moss from their tank to put in the Dario tank and each tank has it's own equipment but I guess I must have chucked some moss in there.
I've removed them and out of the undergrowth emerged half a dozen actual Dario fry :lol:
P1050693.JPG

Well in an utterly embarrassing (for me) update those fry turned out to be Paraphanius mento,wondered why they were at the surface so much and seemed a bit long:facepalm:🤣
How they got in there I don't know as I'm almost certain I never nicked any moss from their tank to put in the Dario tank and each tank has it's own equipment but I guess I must have chucked some moss in there.
I've removed them and out of the undergrowth emerged half a dozen actual Dario fry :lol: View attachment 167565

Congrats! That’s was quick!

Back