• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?

I believe most temperatures communicated on the internet are breeding temperatures. This holds for al lot of fish species, not just Dario.

I assume breeding is associated with welfare. Hence, if you keep fish at those temperatures, it serves their wellbeing.
But breeding is not an indication of welfare for many species. We keep most fish at too high and too constant temperatures. There are a few studies that support this.

So yes, I am mimicking their natural environment to a certain degree that is. I see different behaviours in different seasons. How cool is that.

And yes, the male doesn't tolerate the female once breeding occurs. I've never seen them prey on their offspring. I've never seen broodcare either.
Food for thought. I should maybe try seeing how mine respond to slightly cooler temps. I do the same thing with my geckos in terms of creating seasonal fluctuations in day length, temps and moisture but I hadn't really considered that the fish might benefit from it too. Can you elaborate at all on what sort of behavioural changes you observe as the temperature changes? more breeding activity in warmer temperatures? Would be interesting to know if mating behaviour ceases at a certain temperature that still allows for good health in order to make sure the females aren't being stressed too much by overly enthusiastic males.

Having followed @rdk1402's posts on D. tigris elsewhere, they appear breed at 22C. Below that temp, I expect less aggression, less color, and less activity generally. And probably longer lifespan.

If I indeed have females, my plan is to keep them at 22 until they breed once, then turn off the heat and leave it off. I like the idea of breeding seasons. Having kept apistos that would spawn every 3 weeks given the opportunity, I value a natural way to reduce breeding frequency, since breeding is energetically expensive for the females. The temperature range in my home is 17- 28C with an average of 18, and only gets above 25 for a few days in the fall. That along with my tap water (soft and alkaline) makes it ideal for this species.

Just a tip for anyone looking for female dario dario that happens to read this thread - Wildwoods aquatics in enfield told me on the phone today that they have a new supplier that provides them with even numbers of male and female dario dario that are captive bred and readily accepting frozen foods. They can ship within the UK for £25. I also still have two males and multiple females available for free to anyone that is willing to collect from the west coast of Scotland near Helensburgh as long as you're going to take good care of them. Will have more available again in the future.

Just noticed this on YouTube:

Maybe it’s worth to contact the owner.

Btw I’m looking for female basis as well.

Back