• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Hardy carpet plant advice

astroman

Hi all. I am looking for advice on the best hardy carpet plant for my Juwel Trigon 190. The reason I want a hardy and fast growing plant is due to the 6 inch Plec and the Silver dollar which also live in the tank.
I have had many failures in the past with plants like Pogostemon Helferi - partly due to the fish but mainly due to my own ignorance with lighting, ferts and co2.
Now I know what I am doing with maintaining a balanced aquarium I feel confident to try again.
Please can anyone advise me as to readily available and suitable plants.
Thanks

MARKCOUSINS

Hi,big fish do not go well with good carpets.A 6 inch pleco thrashing and sucking around will wip out the tiny roots on lightweight carpet plants in no time.And i allways thought silver dollars were plant eaters,maybe I'm wrong.I suppose your best bet is some kind of cryptocoryne carpet,that would be a bit higher but more robust or to use moss in some way.But first i would make sure that your silver dollars are not plant eaters,someone should be able to clear this up.Cheers Mark.

harryH

Dollars will eat your plants and a 6" plec will rearrange anything you put in.
Got yourself a challenge there:(

Harry.

astroman

Hmmm, I am reluctant to loose the dollar as I have had it from a quarter and it is now the size of a tennis ball! Same applies to the plec but it looks like the only option if I want to develop my tank.
Thanks for your help