• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Hardscaping ideas for UNS 60u

sflaqua34

Hey everyone, I’m starting a thread for my hardscape layouts for my 60u which I plan to rescape in a few months with a goal of entering the IAPLC.
I made a dojo with close to the same dimensions and I’ve just been playing around

Going to use dragon stone because I had a few nice pieces and I just got in about 25 more pounds

Here are the layouts I’ve made so far
959049B8-84B7-4D61-A9E8-976CFAD4CCCA.jpeg
545E8FF0-D2D0-4944-84A7-BCD84F82230F.jpeg

Feel free to critique or follow along

Picture 1 the photo angle is a bit odd, so harder to critique.

Picture 3 the middle stone is too central and dominates ( it distracts from everything else)

Picture 2 I personally think has the most promise. Perhaps a few adjustments. The red stone needs to align with the others in direction, and move to the left more. The green stone to the right and to the front of the glass. You then have some negative space in front and perhaps a sand path curving front left to mid right (yellow)

Attachments

• 6B01700A-390D-4454-A9BC-27D956B93500.jpeg
    6B01700A-390D-4454-A9BC-27D956B93500.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for the comments man

Pic 3 honestly looked really nice irl, but shows up weird on camera, which of course matters more here because it’s for a contest lol

I’ll try the adjustments on pic 2 next week probably

For now I just made this one (sorry for blur camera was dirty)
AA54BA56-C493-499B-964C-819798B0D805.jpeg

Also, anyone know why replies to threads I’m in doesnt send an alert?

You might have alerts turned off ? Top right you should see a little bell symbol..

Again that most recent picture you have the largest stone very centrally so you can’t see half the aquarium. With the dragon stone, it looks more natural is all the pores line up/ go in the same direction.

At the end of the day, what you think is most important as you’re looking at it on a daily basis.

Nah it says alerts are all on. Whatever I’ll survive lmao

Maybe I’m trying too hard to make a big impact
Here’s the same one with the large one swapped for a smaller one, strata are a bit off but I could fix later
(Obv need to tweak but these are all rough ideas which I will tweak once I decide on one)
58DD4AEA-B42A-43D3-96C0-3E26C9492C3B.jpeg

Last picture has some promise. It also has a little less tension than in some of the earlier layouts.

It leads the eye nicely, fills the space (height) has a little depth perspective which could be enhanced. Certainly from my eye it has potential.

You "could" try brining the larger stones slightly forward with little more spread, using the smaller ones in the background to produce a little more depth perspective.

Thanks, I think the main issue with the last one for me is that the path needs to narrow more at the back, and I feel like the weight of the right side needs to shift a bit more left, but I could fix this easily
Right now I am between the third to last and the last

Hard to know what you’re aiming for, is it a literal mountain type scape ala diorama scapes or is it more figurative mountain ala Ada. Or even “pure” iwagumi where you’re thinking of the pressure of water and flow?

I’d be inclined to go for picture 3 in that case. Especially if you push the right hand side and the left hand side rearmost stone a touch further back to give them more distinct bands of fore/mid and background.

Thanks everyone, will be sticking w this one I think then lol

Gonna be a while before actual tank is scraped tho, I’m in high school and am waiting to see what my summer plans are with internships or programs

Back