• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hardscape

Jason Blake

Hi guys,

It's been a while since my last aquarium but the bug has bit me and I'm just in the process of setting a new one up.

With all the excitement of everything ariving and getting everything started I have made a bit of noob mistake. I have placed my rocks in and built a bit of a mound around them to make a bit of a rocky crag. Then I realised as I was covering the subtrate in water that I have completely forgotten to wash the rocks before putting them in.

Is this going to be a disaster or is the very worst of it just going to be cloudy water that the filter and water changes should sort out? I got the rocks from aqua essentials. So I can't imagine that they are going to be heavily contaminated.

I just really want to avoid having to destroy my scape as the rocks are shoring up my mound.

Thanks for the help

It's no big deal. Do a few wc'es before turning the filter on. Some carbon in the filter will help. Remove the carbon before planting.

Oh right, thanks for the reply.

I think I should point out that currently there is only enough water to cover the shallowest parts of the substrate.

I am using shrimp king active soil as I hope to break into the shrimp side of the hobby. I was told that I should keep the substrate damp. The plants are due to arrive on Tuesday.

I wait eagerly for the replies!

Last edited:
Assuming you got the rocks from your LFS, I wouldn't loose sleep.
If you picked them out of your garden / from a river bank it might be worth a little more caution.

Back