• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Hardscape practicing

Mikeba

Hi all!

I created myself an aquascaping dojo and I'm determined to create a few hardscapes every month to practice and getting better. I will try to update this thread along the way.

Here is the first one.

60x30x36cm
IMG_1328-bewerkt_zpsn3yjkrac.jpg

UPDATE: Felt so inspired today so I created another one. Hope you like it.
60x30x36cm
IMG_1377-bewerkt_zpskeqk2v9h.jpg

UPDATE: another one - again 60x30x36cm
3_IMG_1393-bewerkt_zpsj789ewmq.jpg

UPDATE: 60x30x36cm
4_IMG_1460-bewerkt_zpsfuofxyvd.jpg

5_IMG_1479-bewerkt_zpsgezjubtg.jpg

8_IMG_1907-bewerkt_zpseydn15dx.jpg

Last edited:
even the first one is a winner! You'll get good in no time!!!

I think this is very good. But, as you asked for criticism, I'd say the two main rocks are a bit too similar in 'weight'. There isn't a clear single focal point imo. Adding a rock behind (and to the right) of the big rock on the left might work. Sweep it down towards the rear glass like you've done on the right side. I could draw it if you like.

I think this is very good. But, as you asked for criticism, I'd say the two main rocks are a bit too similar in 'weight'. There isn't a clear single focal point imo. Adding a rock behind (and to the right) of the big rock on the left might work. Sweep it down towards the rear glass like you've done on the right side. I could draw it if you like.
I'm always open for suggestions, so if it doesn't take too much of your time a sketch is always helpful!

Another thing that bothers me now that I have looked at the picture a few times is the front left "slope" that is too linear. I should have placed the last rock a bit to the back/front, or maybe leave a gap between the 2 rocks.

Last edited:
Still love number 3 after going through them. There is just something on point where you have the visual queues and the depth works with the angles created. I would just remove the far left rock from the back and place it at the front under the large rock on the left. Keep the angle the same though. It works well.

It is what I am hoping to go for, can I ask, how much rock is that? to fill out that aquarium. I have double the space and so hoping I have ordered enough.

Still love number 3 after going through them. There is just something on point where you have the visual queues and the depth works with the angles created. I would just remove the far left rock from the back and place it at the front under the large rock on the left. Keep the angle the same though. It works well.

It is what I am hoping to go for, can I ask, how much rock is that? to fill out that aquarium. I have double the space and so hoping I have ordered enough.
Thanks Adam!

I have mixed feelings about number 3 for the reason that I love how it looks on photo, but in real life this is the weakest of them all. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice layout; but because I worked the perspective/depth so hard it only makes sense if you view it from one (low) angle. Therefor I would never go further with that one.

Can't tell you how many kg that is, I should weigh it out at home.
If you want to recreate it at a double scale (120cm?) you would need very large rocks. But if I would have to do it at a larger scale I would just try to build more around it, extend the landscape to the left and right with more rocks/details/roads and maybe add more stones in the front to create even more depth.

Thank you for getting back to me quickly. I guess what we should commend is your photo and aspect skills then ;)

I can imagine front on or from above it may look shallow to the tank height, however if I could replicate that style in a 120cm x 50cm tank so that when you are facing directly on that would be good. My viewing angle to my tank from my sofa won't be far off your photo mind. And I do feel sometimes thinking about where you are mostly viewing your tank from is often forgotten.

And I have ordered some rocks from zooplus where their XXL rock is around 35cm so taking 5cm for the substrate and that I could lift it slightly and allowing 5cm above it for the waterline I am hoping their size suit this. I have currently arriving 48kg of rock which is 22 individual pieces as highlighted in the sizes in my thread here:

https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/hel...t-being-in-the-hobby-for-3-years.42174/page-5

Hopefully with some wood to finish the hardscape off. Still unsure on if to try my existing or get new wood to have it all fresh.

Thank you for getting back to me quickly. I guess what we should commend is your photo and aspect skills then ;)

I can imagine front on or from above it may look shallow to the tank height, however if I could replicate that style in a 120cm x 50cm tank so that when you are facing directly on that would be good. My viewing angle to my tank from my sofa won't be far off your photo mind. And I do feel sometimes thinking about where you are mostly viewing your tank from is often forgotten.

And I have ordered some rocks from zooplus where their XXL rock is around 35cm so taking 5cm for the substrate and that I could lift it slightly and allowing 5cm above it for the waterline I am hoping their size suit this. I have currently arriving 48kg of rock which is 22 individual pieces as highlighted in the sizes in my thread here:

https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/hel...t-being-in-the-hobby-for-3-years.42174/page-5

Hopefully with some wood to finish the hardscape off. Still unsure on if to try my existing or get new wood to have it all fresh.

Problem with a 60P is that it only has 30cm front to back which makes it very hard to create a good feeling of depth. So your really need to use very small stones at the back to make a viewer think it goes on forever :)

I should have taken actual viewing point more into concideration while hardscaping, but hey ... I was just practicing .. lesson learned ;)

I think you will be able to accomplish something beautifull with those stones, I just think you will need more smaller stones to create the details. Also look uit for some bigger "gravel" to sprinkle around the foot of the stones, like Jurijs does in his Hakusan video.

Good luck with the project!

Cheers again for the info and the link as well :) Certainly a lot to consider. I am thinking I could order the 60cm pack as well and add some more too it. That comes with the same set of stones without the XXL then. And I can always split the XL and large down if needed.

Good shout on the bigger gravel, is that broken up rock or slate pieces in there?

So yeah I have ordered a 100cm and an 80cm set in the end. Thought best to have too much than not enough :D

That would take us up to:

XXL: approx. 35 cm x 2
XL: approx. 25 cm x 3
L: approx. 16 cm x 4
M: approx. 12 cm x 14
S: approx. 6 cm x 20

Total Weight 69kg of rock. Hopefully that will suit better and depending I will ever smash up these rocks or get some slate to suit (although honestly the slate isn't much cheaper). At £181.46 or £2.62kg I don't think that's bad bearing in mind it's £6.89kg on the Green Machine and that would have been £475.41 :nailbiting: or Aqua Essentials (my usual place to shop at for plants and hardscape) would be £247.71+£5.99 delivery.

So yeah I have ordered a 100cm and an 80cm set in the end. Thought best to have too much than not enough :D

That would take us up to:

XXL: approx. 35 cm x 2
XL: approx. 25 cm x 3
L: approx. 16 cm x 4
M: approx. 12 cm x 14
S: approx. 6 cm x 20

Total Weight 69kg of rock. Hopefully that will suit better and depending I will ever smash up these rocks or get some slate to suit (although honestly the slate isn't much cheaper). At £181.46 or £2.62kg I don't think that's bad bearing in mind it's £6.89kg on the Green Machine and that would have been £475.41 :nailbiting: or Aqua Essentials (my usual place to shop at for plants and hardscape) would be £247.71+£5.99 delivery.
You can always get more if you need some.

Post some pictures if you have your rocks deliverd, I'm really curious! :D

Back