• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hard Water

Richard40

Should I be testing the hardness of my water? I’ve never tested it so asking for advice. Only ever tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. anything else I should test? I’ve a heavily planted tank, running CO2.

Should I be testing the hardness of my water?

No-What about Test Kits ?

because it is a waste of time and money when all you have to do is google your water company and you should be able to get a water report FOC.

Manchester as a whole gets great water from the Lake District which should be pretty 'ideal' for scaping and I'm jealous already as my water virtually spits calcium stones out :rolleyes:

What about a TDS tester which also tests temperature?

I have several and rarely use them, with a weekly 50% WC there is no need to measure TDS and I have a temp gauge on my hand which I use most days ;)

You don't need to test hardness regularly as if you are using the same source water it shouldn't fluctuate much. However you should have some idea of what the hardness is - if you are using tap your water company should have a report.

Back