• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hard water cloudiness.

Hi all

I also have liquid rock water. Scale at the waterline is something you have to live with... However it is not really the problem for me as I do frequent WC (once a week in a low tech tank and twice a week in a high tech) therefore the scale is still soft enough to be scrapped or dissolved with vinegar (standard kitchen vinegar in a paper towel). For the equipment, when I clean it, a vinegar bath works a treat also.

Regarding fish, I avoid really sensitive black water species (Rams, apistogramma, etc.) but for example my Cardinal tetra are for sure the most healthy looking fish I have. Also my new sparkling gouramis (said to be from soft waters) are doing very well (lately there's plenty of Daphnia around here and I have purchased quality dry food... This and water changes are really the key IMO). They won't probably breed, I know.

My main concern with hard water is co2 and nutrient uptake. My feeling is that I need to pump loads of co2 and micros to really reach the levels other people achieve with less, that's all. Unfortunately I live in an area where water is scarce (I cannot justify myself that much waste water, I cannot use the waste water for other things,nit is really a hassle to buy water at the LFS when you change so much water weekly) and I cannot use rainwater as we only have 300 liters/year and I live in an apartment... So my tanks will have to get adapted to this!

Jordi

Has anyone kept moskito rasboras in this waters? From what Ive read they just dont live to their full life span/potential in hard water.

Last edited:
No, TBH I have only measured GH because the washing machine technician forgot his GH drop test here... that's all. All the hobbyist in my city report a KH in the tap water of 10-12 degrees. I do not have rocks in my tanks, just wood and JBL/aquasoiI, so I assume that this is the minimum I have but maybe more (BTW, do you know if KH can raise with time? I have noticed that GH is higher in my tanks' water than in the tap water). KH test is the only one I'd like to buy (I want to check my pH profiles in a week or so), but once you've measured your KH what do you do with it? Probably next time I want to use it will be out of date.

I keep Boraras urophtalmoides in one of my tanks and they do well (nice orange colours) but definitely they won't spwan. My GH is 21+. Again, water changes and good food will be the key. I've had problems in the longterm with Boraras brigittae, not sure if it is related to water parameters.

Jordi

No, TBH I have only measured GH because the washing machine technician forgot his GH drop test here... that's all
Hahah a bit cheeky that is. Anyway I wonder why a washing machine technician would want to know gh. I would think they would want to know kh more than anything.

10-12 kh is more on the lines of the water I used to have in Spain which didnt really give me any considerable problems with fish, scale, or plants. This is why it would be good to give numbers when possible, so that we can really compare.

GH/KH can raise with time only if there is something in your tank adding it to the water like stones, certain substrates, ferts(only GH). So if the GH is changing its due to something (Probably your substrates?) .

KH test is the only one I'd like to buy (I want to check my pH profiles in a wekk or so), but once you've measured your KH what do you do with it? Probably next time I want to use it will be out of date.

Not sure I get the question. Are you doing this to monitor your CO2?

Anyway I wonder why a washing machine technician would want to know gh.
Have a look at your washing machine or dishwasher instructions, there is a device you have to adjust if you are in a high GH range. At least in the dishwasher it is related to the amount of salt used. The test left by the technician is a standard GH test (same degrees used we use in aquarium), but my guess is that it is 10x cheaper for not being "specially designed for your aquarium".

10-12 kh is more on the lines of the water I used to have in Spain
I live in Valencia (East coast): limestone, limestone and more limestone....

GH/KH can raise with time only if there is something in your tank adding it to the water like stones, certain substrates, ferts(only GH). So if the GH is changing its due to something (Probably your substrates?) .
Ferts for sure...

Are you doing this to monitor your CO2?
Well, a way of fine tuning/monitoring you Co2 injection is making a pH profile. According to your KH, you need a certain pH drop to be sure you have good CO2 levels. Of course there are plenty of things that can make your KH or pH change during the readings, but we assume that during the measuraments (just one day, pH measures every hour) there will be no relevant changes in your KH and that all the changes measured in your pH profile will be due to Co2 injection.
The more KH the more buffer, so with high KH there is a rule of thumb saying that with 1 pH drop you can have good levels of Co2 (to be reach when lights are switched on). If you have low KH you will probably need more than 1 pH drop. It is another quite useful way (apart from what your drop checker is saying) to know if your CO2 levels are good or not

Jordi

With a higher KH your ph drop needs to be just one unit as well as if you have a lower kh. Be careful with this and read a lot(one can never know enough on CO2) since if you lower your ph 1.2 units (by mistake) you will be near 50ppm of CO2. So if the accuracy of your ph metre is +-0.1 then this is a bit risky so fish are the main sign to follow. Anyway this is more for a CO2 related thread. And there is no harm in doing a CO2 profile.

Cheers!

Back