• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hanging Rock - 45p Iwagumi

So the "hanging rock" tipped / fell when i was doing some maintance (trying to remove all the stray riccia), couldnt get the big stone stable again so it had to come out, have simplified the look of the scape and hopefully removed all the riccia and glosso.

I dont mind the look, clean and simple, will make maintenance and trimming a bit easier.

Not sure what to do with the big seiryu stone, has a bunch of mini pellia attached, dont think I will use the rock again, to big for any of my tanks. Anyone in Perth interested in it?

26211868469_b0df424bc4_c.jpg
IMG_0719
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Why this is not looking better? Just because is not like you wanted from the very begining.
It looks, maybe not better, but very nice. Instead a "Hanging Rock" you've got a "Running up the hill".

Why this is not looking better? Just because is not like you wanted from the very begining.
It looks, maybe not better, but very nice. Instead a "Hanging Rock" you've got a "Running up the hill".

Thanks, dont get me wrong i still think it looks nice, plants are healthy enough (apart from the stuff I had to pull up and replant) just I liked the dramatic effect of the big hanging rock, but your correct, its now up hill :p

So the "hanging rock" tipped / fell when i was doing some maintance (trying to remove all the stray riccia), couldnt get the big stone stable again so it had to come out, have simplified the look of the scape and hopefully removed all the riccia and glosso.

I dont mind the look, clean and simple, will make maintenance and trimming a bit easier.

Not sure what to do with the big seiryu stone, has a bunch of mini pellia attached, dont think I will use the rock again, to big for any of my tanks. Anyone in Perth interested in it?

26211868469_b0df424bc4_c.jpg
IMG_0719
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
Hi, this is a great looking tank. I have the Chihiros A Series Plus just like yours (but bigger as my tank is 80cm) long. I installed it two weeks ago. I am struggling to get the light setting right. I currently have it on 5. Someone here said that 3 is the right setting. I tried both 3 and 4 and my carpets seem to suffer. On 5, carpets are fine, but leaf burn on others. Should I just reduce to 3 or 4 and wait it out? I run pressurised CO2 for 10 hours a day and light is on for 7 hours.

So the "hanging rock" tipped / fell

Bo!!ocks, It did look a bit precarious mate from the off. If you were to try that again I was going to suggest having a large flat stone underneath as a counter weight hidden by the substrate and drill some hole through the pair so they could be fastened together with zip ties. On the plus side though you've still managed to come up with a nice new scape without the hassle of a total strip down and more importantly you never damaged anything. All the way through this project I've been thinking if that rock goes over, if tension was what you were looking for you certainly created that, just maybe in the wrong way, more like stomach churning apprehension :D

Well done for just cracking on mate. Now that the hanging rock isn't the main focal point maybe you can see what else you could adapt the scape to, maybe more varied species of plant. :thumbup:

Bo!!ocks, It did look a bit precarious mate from the off. If you were to try that again I was going to suggest having a large flat stone underneath as a counter weight hidden by the substrate and drill some hole through the pair so they could be fastened together with zip ties. On the plus side though you've still managed to come up with a nice new scape without the hassle of a total strip down and more importantly you never damaged anything. All the way through this project I've been thinking if that rock goes over, if tension was what you were looking for you certainly created that, just maybe in the wrong way, more like stomach churning apprehension :D

Well done for just cracking on mate. Now that the hanging rock isn't the main focal point maybe you can see what else you could adapt the scape to, maybe more varied species of plant. :thumbup:

Cheers, yes I would secure the rock more securely next time, my original plan involved aquarium safe silicon but when scaping the hardscape I was able to get it balanced well using rocks under the substrate to counter balance the big rock, also almost half of the rock was under the substrate, it really was a huge rock, weighs 10kg, when I pulled out the glosso carpet I think it unsettled the substrate causing the stone to shift. I was actually starting to get bored of the big rock and it was hard to get my hand in the tank to trim the carpet, so perhaps its for the best that it did tip, just glad it happened while I had my hands in the tank.

Had time to give this tank a good trim today, should rename this thread to "running up hill" I think I will just stick to shrimp only in this tank now.

Turned the light down 10% to peak at 70% across a 6 hr light cycle, will see if that will help with the green algae growing on the rocks, saying that I dont really mind green algae on rocks, no other annoying algae to deal with yet.

26739069679_2b350c68c1_h.jpg
IMG_0740
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Dantrasy was nice enough to offer me his CRS and RCS, have put them in my 45p with my existing RCS and NQ / NT Algae shrimp, I hope I can keep them alive and breeding so I can gift them back to Dantrasy when he is ready for them!
Fingers crossed!

Here are a few photos, forgot how tricky macro photos are to take after not touching my camera for a few months, lovely looking shrimp! Thanks again Brad!

24931465308_82c2736a8d_c.jpg
IMG_0801
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

23939339817_cf27f717cc_c.jpg
IMG_0794
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

38087984114_26e6833743_c.jpg
IMG_0809
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

37917683535_118f267fb8_c.jpg
IMG_0814
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

38773581192_7279acfcc0_c.jpg
IMG_0805
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

37917665125_26dee9d182_c.jpg
IMG_0759
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Gave the tank a trim today, the CRS seem to be doing ok, not sure if they are breeding yet but some are berried, hopefully start to notice some baby crs soon, I am guessing it takes time for the colours to develop? Thinking it would be hard to distinguish them between baby red cherries?

38994532332_2899a00e3a_b.jpg
IMG_0988
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Baby CRS are very distinctive due to the pattern on them. You cant miss em. Whats the tank temperature and kH like?

Baby CRS are very distinctive due to the pattern on them. You cant miss em. Whats the tank temperature and kH like?

Gets a bit warm, sits about 25c but can rise to 27-28 when it gets really warm here in Perth, obviously no need for a heater at the moment, could look into a fan to mount on the rim.

Last time I measured kH it was at 5, that was when I had the huge rock in so perhaps its dropped since removing it, will need to re-test. Dantrasy was not really doing anything special to keep them breeding before he gifted them to me (i.e. tap water) I had a really good look in the tank last night and there are many babies but they look like standard Cherries to me.

If you manage them to breed at kh 5 and temperature around 25, that would be really cool!!

This little guy was almost impossible to photograph, not sure if there are more baby CRS or just the same few i keep seeing, either way seems to be going well.

39355274912_48e3dfe8f9_c.jpg
IMG_1099
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

25515318108_d7eb104e49_c.jpg
IMG_1076
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Gave the tank a trim today, the CRS seem to be doing ok, not sure if they are breeding yet but some are berried, hopefully start to notice some baby crs soon, I am guessing it takes time for the colours to develop? Thinking it would be hard to distinguish them between baby red cherries?

38994532332_2899a00e3a_b.jpg
IMG_0988
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

I was about to suggest starting over when the big one tipped, but this looks actually great now. If you ever feel the need to change anything, I'd remove the plants and soil on the right side of the stone a bit. Just to break up the up-running line.

Great tanks!

Unfortunately the CRS didn't survive in this tank, still have a couple kicking around but with the warm weather here in Perth, Australia, they have pretty much all died.

Here is a post trim photo, starting to thinking about a new scape or pulling this tank down, trimming carpet plants is something i no longer enjoy :p

39760314161_c0c09c48a6_c.jpg
IMG_1201
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Added some purigen today, water was turning green again, pretty disappointed that the cal aqua soil has this effect on the colour of the water, purigen seems to do the trick tho, water is almost crystal clear after a few hours.

39911140102_c684b1a90c_c.jpg
IMG_1214
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Back