• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hanging Rock - 45p Iwagumi

This is how roots of HC looks after 4 weeks in wabi kusa.
bkhsEeN.jpg

Sorry for bad quality but I you can have an ideea about it.
Regarding green water, changing water will not help you too much. You can use UV treatment or blackout. But, making blackout now, when plants just start to grow, will be not very good for them.

Cheers, I only left my HC for a week or less, doesnt seem like any of it put down roots, must not have liked the conditions or was already emersed grown and needed more time to adapt to the dry start conditions, I have done a big 90% water change will see if the water stays clear, any ideas why the green water would occur? As I said I squeezed the sponge from a cycled tank into this tank, set the co2 up at a very high level and left it over night, this morning the water was green, not a solid green but a definite green tinge. Hopefully its gone when I get home from work :p

Maybe is not so called "green water" that is made by unicellular algae. But, if it is green water from algae then water changes are not enough.
I had this in my 100 litters aqvarium just after I put inside algae eaters (shrimps, Oto, SAE and Spiral) probable because the high population of
algae that was removed by algae eaters and become invasive in water. I used blackout for 3 days and after that a massive change in water with
addition of Filter Medium. Very next day the water was clear and stays clear until today.

Interesting, hopefully it wasnt "green water" perhaps a bacterial bloom! My water is still clear after the big water change, I guess it may take longer then 10 so hrs to turn, fingers crossed its still clear in the morning

OK, maybe you are lucky and will not face green water. Bacterial bloom is looking white and foggy, not green. Next time do not squeez the sponge from other filter, just keep them working together in same tank for one week or two and add some bacteria in new filter. This way you avoid problems with water quality. When you squeez the sponge, together with beneficial bacteria, you add also a lot of organic matter in water, that is the best feed for algae. More than that, squeezing the sponge, there is only a few bacteria leaving the sponge because beneficial bacteria are fixed in the sponge. To have an effect, you should wash the sponge very well in aqvarium water ... and this lead to same problem : too much organic matter in the tank.

Cheers, I should just just cycled the tank as I have done previously... letting the aquasoil leech ammonia and doing regular water changes... I will have to keep an eye on ammonia levels... yet to test them, will get onto that shortly. I just tested my GH (8) and KH (5) and my PH (6)... looking at a co2 chart I have 150ppm of co2... yesterday I had the co2 set even higher so probably pushed the PH even lower (below 6) Perhaps this had some ill effect. I will tone down the co2 over the next few weeks in preparation for adding some live stock.

Cleansing bacteria that help to transform ammonia in nitites and nitrites in nitrates are autotrophic bacteria (bacteria that use as nitrogen source these substances, respectively bacteria from nitrosomonas sp. and nitrobacter sp.). Autotrophic bacteria like a pH around 7. Lowering the pH too much will not kill the bacterial population at once but will reduce dramaticaly the bacterial division. With a few exceptions (like Lactobacili sp. or Bifidobacterium sp.) most of bacteria prefer a pH around 6.5-7.5. So, lowering pH too much and fast will lead to a inhibition of cleansing bacteria growth/multiplication and, consecutively, an extension of the cycling of the aqvarium.

Thanks I am not in a huge rush to cycle the tank so will keep the co2 high for now to try avoid any melt, I will easy back to about a ph of 6.7 / 6.8 over the next few weeks. Ammonia levels are fairly high at about 4ppm with no sign of any nitrites yet

High level of ammonia, as well as nitrites show weak bacteria population. So, if you can wait, in three weeks results will come for sure. Good luck!

High level of ammonia, as well as nitrites show weak bacteria population. So, if you can wait, in three weeks results will come for sure. Good luck!

Yes I am assuming if any beneficial bacteria was introduced to the tank by squeeing out that cycled sponge yesterday, I probably killed it off by dropping the Ph below 6 when I injected a huge amount of co2 all night. Its all a learning experience! I will sit tight and wait for the cycle to happen without introducing bacteria from my other tanks.

Most of the advices are to stop introduc
At lower ph the ammonia will become less toxic ammonium. How this effects the filter cycling im not sure.

Yes, but his problem is not the toxicity of ammonia, because his tank contain no fish. Anyway, when the living beings will be there, ammonia and nitrites should be 0! Then, the biological filtration should work 100%. The problem is the presence of ammonia (that is normal, during cycling time) and request for the best conditions for cleansing bacteria to develop in a long-term balanced colony.

Yes I was just comenting on this point. Because will the bacterias still develop the same converting ammonium not ammonia? And cycle the filter?
This I dont know.

Ammonium is a converted NH3 to NH4+ in form of salts of ammonia or in complex solutions of ammonia. Most of ammonium present in our aqvarium comes from fish and invertebrates that excrate it due to its specific digestion or may comes also from degradation of organic matter. Ammonium is stable in low pH solutions, simply adding a strong base it become ammonia. If in solution are other elements like chloride, that can react and form complex of ammonium. If the pH stay low, ammonium is generated because of abundence of H ions. If pH is high, lack of H ions will determine conversion of ammonium in ammonia. In all situations, a chemical balance of the water in aqvarium should be obtained without ammonia. The cleansing bacteria are active in a certain environment (this because why I mentioned before the pH range where bacteria are "comfortable"). So, pH level is important for bacterial activity in the filter as well as for chemistry of the water. Nevertheless, ammonium can be a nitrogen source for plants, especialy when the environment is hypoxic.

Last edited:
Well the good news is the green water did not return over night, water is still clear!

Green tinge to the water doesn't seem to be going away even with regular 90% water changes, will probably order a small uv tomorrow, the glosso is going wild and growing really fast, I increased the light to second max setting to see if it will grow more compact, have never grown glosso before so perhaps this is just normal growth, the HC is growing but looks a bit crap at the moment, some thread like diatoms covering it, hopefully the extra light helps get it going. Quick iphone photo of the glosso below

IMG_5623.JPG

Photo from today, still not sure if I should buy a UV or just wait out the green water.

35916051066_d7c3557827_c.jpg
IMG_9807
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

That's glosso normal growth...a friend of mine got some too and until you trim it very often it will grow vertically.

My favorite carpeting plants are elatine hydropiper and marsilea crenata; slow grower and nice texture. :)

That's glosso normal growth...a friend of mine got some too and until you trim it very often it will grow vertically.

My favorite carpeting plants are elatine hydropiper and marsilea crenata; slow grower and nice texture. :)

Cheers, its probably pretty much due for a trim, I do see the glosso growing over all the HC, tho that could look interesting giving the stemmy / high growing nature of glosso.

I Dont think either of those carpeting plants are common in Australia unfortunately, there is a native species of Marsilea but not "crenata"

Back