• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hanging Rock - 45p Iwagumi

Thanks I think the MC will grow fine in the shade, I do have a tank next to this that will spill some light to fill the shadow, also I will dry start this for some time. Just not sure how the UG and glosso will look next to each other or if they will mix, here is the plan without UG

hanging-rock-plan-v2.jpg

I would give it a go with the UG I think the contrast between the UG and glosso would look great. If the UG isnt successful you could always plant it out with glosso after.

All planted, now to wait... probably need some more HM for up the back and behind the rock (not that you will see it behind the rock) Mixed the UG with the glosso, tho the UG was on a SS mesh and was impossible to remove without tearing the roots off, so will be interesting to see how it goes

35482453905_19f4d0e85c_c.jpg
IMG_9640
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

HM grows like a weed so likely you've enough
- dry start?

Yes a dry start, tho I have decided to remove the HM, I keep all the plants low / ground cover, the bushy HM may distract from angle of the rock

Sorry for my ignorance but ... what is "a dry start"?

It is a method of starting the plants without water and spraying / misting with water when needed, this allows the plants to have unlimited access to co2, generally only used for carpet plants so they can get their roots down before flooding.

OK, thanks!
I took the word "dry" literally and I was confused. This is a good technique for planting on the hills, avoiding the risk of substrate going down the hill and uprooting the plants.

I am planing the same method for my next project, in the shape of wabi kusa. This mean that the plant will stay without water but on a substrate flooded. The aqvarium will be covered with plastic or a glass cover. In the cover I will have a small hole for a small pipe from which I will add CO2 and water, as much as is needed. I have already made such experiment and it works perfect (https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-first-wabi-kusa.50033/).

Maybe you should try too, it will rush it for sure.

The other solution that I will try is to grow HC on a plastic mesh that is positioned under a thin layer of universal substrate like Tropica Soil. HC is genereting penetrationg roots and will be attached on the mesh, fixing also the substrate. Then I expect to have something like grass strips that can be added aslope, uphill. Of course, in the same way described above, including light, CO2, fertilizers.

OK, thanks!
I took the word "dry" literally and I was confused. This is a good technique for planting on the hills, avoiding the risk of substrate going down the hill and uprooting the plants.

I am planing the same method for my next project, in the shape of wabi kusa. This mean that the plant will stay without water but on a substrate flooded. The aqvarium will be covered with plastic or a glass cover. In the cover I will have a small hole for a small pipe from which I will add CO2 and water, as much as is needed. I have already made such experiment and it works perfect (https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-first-wabi-kusa.50033/).

Maybe you should try too, it will rush it for sure.

Thanks I have seen people pump co2 into a dry start tank, I dont see the point, have done two dry starts before, just covering the tank with plastic film (cling wrap) and leaving a corner open is enough, mist every days or every second, make sure not to much water pools over the soil, tho this could be tricky with the big hill of soil, I will syphon out excess water.

I have not documented very well this isue but, as long as we have to reproduce the greenhouse effect, I though we should have the same condition : moisture in the air, more CO2 than in normal air, temperature and light. So I just compared it with other similar projects and looks like it speed up the process. Anyway, should take care with CO2 : it may cause intoxication.

1 week DSM updated photo -

34831782933_44cb6c2cd4_c.jpg
IMG_9646
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Getting a little white spiderweb like mold on a patch of glosso, tempted to flood but I dont have a heater yet... will try hold off flooding until next weekend when the heater should arrive

Flooded, decided not to muck around with RO water, just tap... lets see how it goes, the HC lifted a lot when I flooded the tank, guess it needs more than 2 weeks dry start, the glosso is well rooted, here is a photo, the tank looks like sprite due to a new atomizor working really well, it will calm down over a few days I think.

35734188295_9676b27304_c.jpg
IMG_9690
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Full setup sharing the co2, seems to work well.

35602874391_c2c5e8974b_c.jpg
IMG_9688
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Looks interesting in situ...a monolith iwagumi in stark contrast to the nature aquarium.

Thanks, that is kind of the effect I wanted with contrasting scapes, tho ive gone back to dry, all the HC floated up moments after posting those photos, so this will be dry again for a month I think.

In my wabi kusa, HC has developed strong roots atfer 3 weeks. In the week 5, already the roots were 3-4 times longer than the plant itself.
With your permission, I can put here a picture.

In my wabi kusa, HC has developed strong roots atfer 3 weeks. In the week 5, already the roots were 3-4 times longer than the plant itself.
With your permission, I can put here a picture.

Sure no worries, I ended up flooding the tank again, was getting white thin spiderweb like fungus / mold, all the HC floated again, ended up pulling it all up breaking it down into smaller chunks and sticking them back into the soil, made a big mess and the soil is all uneven and not looking the best but over time im sure it will grow over and not be so noticeable. Cranking the co2 and everything is pearling nicely

DSM is not the best way to start a tank, IMHO. :(

Best of luck, with water and CO2, everything will be fine again :)

DSM is not the best way to start a tank, IMHO. :(

Best of luck, with water and CO2, everything will be fine again :)

Cheers, yes Im sure it will come around now its all wet! tho this morning I woke up to green water, never experienced green water before, I did squeeze the sponge from a cycled tank into this tank, perhaps that caused some issue, I will have to do a few big water changes and see if it clears up.

Back