• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hairgrass going brown on tips after planting

Paul195

Hi

All the hairgrass that I planted in my soil based low tech tank (DSM) started to melt and go brown and there are a few bits which have 'fur' growing on it - mould I guess. Does anybody know why this has happened and if it is expected?

I have read that many people mow it right back straight away after planting, I decided I was going to let it take hold first - its been planted for 1 week now. Should I trim it right back?

Many thanks

Paul

Thats interesting, because I was spraying the grass to start with, 2 or 3 times a day, but then stopped when I saw the grass going brown and mouldy because I thought it was because of too much moisture.

Rather disheartening to say the least.

No, there are two vent holes at each end, and the lid is not totally airtight. I have a hygrometer in the tank which is typically around 40-50% humidity when the lights are on and up to 80% in the mornings after a spell of darkness. I am running the lights for 16hrs (7am - 11pm).

Back