• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hair Algae/No growth - Updated with pics

Jaap

Hello,

I have trouble with brown algae on the second week of life of my new tank. Its now spreading on the rocks and Eleocharis Parvula.

Tank specifications - 60x30x45 70L
Lighting - Hagen Glo T5HO/48W - 8 Hours on
CO2 - Pressurised paintball cylinder
Filtration - Hydro/ 900 L/h
Fertilisation routine - EI

I have added 2 amano shrimp today. I can wipe off the algae from the glass but I can't do that on the rocks or eleocharis parvulus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: New Tank - Brown Algae

Sounds like diatom algae mate. Normal for a newly set up tank and will disappear on its own. Alot of people of they don't like it get otocinclus as they Love the stuff. If not just clear as much off as possible and keep up with maintenance as normal.
I'd reduce the lighting by an hour or so to start with.

Re: New Tank - Brown Algae

It seems that the tank also is beginning to have green spots on the glass but also a few threads of algae 1-2cm long that are on the gravel,glass and a few plants.

I have added Excell, reduced the light period from 8 to 7 hours, upped the CO2 from 1 bps to 2.5 bps.

Also when using the EI I need to add 7ml of my solution according to Jame's Planted tank but I think I might be dosing around 6ml. I will pump the solution 4 time instead of 3 which will give me around 8ml of the solution.

Sounds good?

Re: New Tank - Brown Algae/Green Spot Algae/Thread Algae

spyder said:
GSA could be low phosphates if I remember correctly.

I would consider 48w over 70l pretty high lighting. Is it possible to raise your lights from the tank to reduce the intensity?

Unfortunately not....

I got exactly the same algae issue.
juwel visio 180 at it's third week (no livestock)
2x35 W T5 (will add 2X35W more next week)
PP - 9h
TNP+ fertilizer 15 ml daily
Co2 - easy life 30 ml daily until the next week when my Co2 system will be installed
temp. - 26C
battling algae with water change 3 times a week. Helps quite a bit.
Hopping with Co2 and increased lighting it will disappear within 2 weeks. I might add shrimps and oto's during that period.

r'n'r said:
I got exactly the same algae issue.
j
2x35 W T5 (will add 2X35W more next week)

Co2 - easy life 30 ml daily until the next week when my Co2 system will be installed.

Hopping with Co2 and increased lighting it will disappear within 2 weeks. I might add shrimps and oto's during that period.

Why add another 70w of lighting if you cannot handle what you are using now?

Easy carbo is 1ml per 50L? Your dosing to cover 1,500l there or 750l if you double dose.

Increasing light will never reduce algae unless you blast it hard enough to fry it! :D

it isn't that I can't handle it, this type of algae is common in new setups, this one is only 3 weeks old.
I'm aiming to find a balance, there's still no co2 system, which quite crucial element.
I'll try to experiment, since it's my first attempt for planted tank.

Understand.

r'n'r said:
I'll try to experiment, since it's my first attempt for planted tank.

If this is the case, please save your cash, it's better off invested into good co2 delivery than on doubling light intensity. When you can grow healthy plants without algae then you can consider upping the light.

If you add the light be prepared for double the algae growth in half the time. :lol:

Co2 will go first, considering what you've said, I'll not rush with the lights.
Thanks

The brow algae seems to still be spreading but at a lower rate and not on plants. The only plants affected are the ones that were planted first and never established. All new plantlents of the eleocharis parvula are healthy and growing. Is there something to be done? Its still the 3rd week of the tank...

You still have too much light. Reduce the intensity by at least 30%. We cannot see how well your distribution of flow and CO2 are from far away but these are also very important.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
You still have too much light. Reduce the intensity by at least 30%. We cannot see how well your distribution of flow and CO2 are from far away but these are also very important.

Cheers,

1. I can remove one fluorescent tube thus decreasing light from 48w to 24w. Should I go ahead?

2. My flow is 900L/h through a lily pipe on the corner of the tank. The tank is 70L so I guess is more than enough.

3. CO2 is distributed via a diffuser under the inflow of the filter which sucks most of the bubbles coming from the diffuser and so my tank is full of small co2 bubbles coming out of the outflow of the filter.

Any suggestions?

The situation is getting worse.....anyone?

Brown Algae (diatoms) are more likely to appear in low-light aquarium and new set-ups, with excess silicate acids (SiO2). Its been known that strong lights make this algae go away, but they might still be seen on lower, shadowed, plant leaves.???????http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

ceg4048 do u think I have too much light? I am confused....I think I have medium light....

Tank specifications - 60x30x45 70L
Lighting - Hagen Glo T5HO/48W - 8 Hours on

I would say 48w is quite high over this volume. Your tank is a little over 2 weeks old. Diatoms do appear in new setups. Lower light will help through this period. If your co2 and flow is good it gives your plants chance to get established. Then you can up the lights & keep up with co2.

Have you reduced your lights throughout this post and if you have, then how is the GSA and hair algae now? If it is only diatoms then nothing beats oto's for clearing it up.

Can you post a photo or 2?

Hello,

Unfortunately my camera broke and I can't post any pics yet.

The tank is 3 weeks old now and it has Eleocharis Parvula. No fauna.

The tank is full of diatoms algae and a bit of hair algae. Now the glass is covered with green spot algae.

I added 2 amanos a week ago but they died so I am not adding any more livestock yet untill I know whats wrong.

I am measuring Ph and Kh with those multipurpose strips and I get 6Kh and 6.8 Ph. I dont trust the readings though since they measure exactly the same when testing my tap water.

Any ideas on what to do? Is it because of the 48w T5HO and will 24W be better? Should I increase CO2 if we assume that Phosphate levels are good due to EI?

Thanks

Back