• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

H´s optiwhite hightech

H..

Cheers mates ! I was going to share with you my future viewing / competition aquarium with you via this thread .
The aquarium is now ordered and will hopefully be delivered in mid-November (2013) It will have dimensions of W120cm * D50cm H40cm and it is made in Optiwhite glass .
A bench will be built after delivery to fit exactly to the millimeter by aquarium dimensions, and of course my thoughts and ideas.
The lighting will also be built to match ,but here it is not 100% sure which one will be the final solution . One plan is T5 fluorescent lamps.
The technology will be presented as I am building it , but it is a pressurized CO2 system with a CO2 regulator system. Anything to get a fairly low maintanance system .
Everything should be stylish and top notch, (according to my values ​​) . Although it will not always be the most expensive material selection in the end , But it will be superior quality all around .
The idea of ​​this thread is to get ideas and tips from you for the project, but also so that others can get ideas ​​about how to make an good looking aquarium.
Future aquascapes will be used for competition and as an display aquarium.
H.

Have started thinking on the bench to be made to the aquarium, and it will of course be ada inspired. and it seems not to be very difficult to do, just parts are solid rectangular.

Here is roughly what it will look like. Not in this color, but in shape.
I will use MDF. But I've been wondering a bit whether I should use screws in front, or to use dowels.

H.

kabinett.jpg

Have started thinking on the bench to be made to the aquarium, and it will of course be ada inspired. and it seems not to be very difficult to do, just parts are solid rectangular.

Here is roughly what it will look like. Not in this color, but in shape.
I will use MDF. But I've been wondering a bit whether I should use screws in front, or to use dowels.

H.

kabinett.jpg
Screws just need countersinking and filling. Once painted you wont see them.

The experience i have in fillings is that they tend to crack just where the hole was aftar some years.

H

The experience i have in fillings is that they tend to crack just where the hole was aftar some years.

H
Depends on the filler and surface finish used. You may also want to consider putting the stand on castors like Mark Evans has done with his 120

That was a new word for me, but thanks to google! Castors.

Castors, might be interesting, can you link pics or tread?

H.

H

Use a 2 part filler, such as this:
Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler 2 Part Natural | ProToolsDirect

This will never shrink or crack.

What you may find, is that you can see the places you have filled because the MDF is swelling around them due to water ingress.
This is why it's particularly important to seal the unit very well with multiple coats.

Mine did move due to water. But I'm not particularly worried. This can be rectified with sanding the area down and respraying.
ve8a3yde.jpg

Now I'm manufacturing out of FE high quality plywood, then covering with a Veneer.

evysadas.jpg

7e8u8ese.jpg

Doors obviously aren't fixed, and veneer is yet to be glued on.

Cheers,
N

Upto now the best filler ive used on mdf is car body filler, easy to work with, cheap, never shrinks, takes paint brilliantly etc etc ;)

Upto now the best filler ive used on mdf is car body filler, easy to work with, cheap, never shrinks, takes paint brilliantly etc etc ;)

It's exactly the same as two part wood filler.

Cheers,
N

Allright, thanks guys for links and info.

Nathaniel. is that an hole from an dowel och screwhole?

H

Nathaniel. is that an hole from an dowel och screwhole?

H

Screw hole mate. Dowel holes would not be visible as they are not required to be drilled right through.

If your going to dowel, make sure you get the holes aligned spot on, otherwise you could struggle :)

I was thinking that the dowel was so deeply drillled that it had pushed it out the wrong way.

Yeah, i have theese small things that you put in the drilled hole and it makes an mark on the other side and you can drill exacktly in possition. I dont know what they are calle in English but they are really good.

It leans towards dowels right now... Then i wont have to worry about cracks.

H.

Here is what i found, a link to one who built before me.

Ivan's 4ft (Nature style scape)

It will be a good reference.

I am wondering about one thing, should there not be feets on a bench? Adjustable feets if the floor leans slightly, so the water surface does not become perfect aligned.

H.

While im waiting for the aquarium to arrive. I'll figure a little of the water in and out flow.

Lily Pipes is what is customary to use. It looks rather stylish with glass stuff hanging on the side, but I wonder why no one has the bottom drilled system, it provides an even cleaner appearance and almost not visible at all. One can use plexi glass outlet and the inlet can be hidden almost completely.

Any thoughts about drilling through glass.

H.

Hello H . . A few tanks come predrilled , fluval for example. The problem is most of the 'in tank' equippment looks horrible, the locations are fixed and immediately less flexible from the scaping point of view- the scape has to be constructed around the in and out flow tubes.

Hello H . . A few tanks come predrilled , fluval for example. The problem is most of the 'in tank' equippment looks horrible, the locations are fixed and immediately less flexible from the scaping point of view- the scape has to be constructed around the in and out flow tubes.

Thanks guys!

The location does not have to be fixed. If you drill two holes and use two 90 degree pipes to each hole, you can Place the in and outlet anywhere in the tank.

Fox- thanks for the link. This tank has one big hole drilled for both in and outlet. That is offcourse less flexible.

I wonder if it is more risky to Place Heavy hardscape near an drilled hole...

H.

Back