• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Guppies in CO2

I have a similar issue with an endler guppy that ended up in my rummy nose order, although he doesn't stay there all the time. I only noticed it when initially increased my co2 but not doesn't do it often, I've gone for less bps with a longer lights off build up

I have recently added some Guppies to my high tech tank by the end of the day all the Guppies are at the surface
This means either (or both) two things. You are injecting more CO2 than your fish can cope with or your water is not oxygenated enough.
its very odd green drop checker though and nothing has died
Drops checkers can be backstabbers and I wouldn't rely on that to know if you have too little or too much CO2. What I would do first and formost is to improve water oxygenetation. Do you have a skimmer? Is surface water properly agitated? If no, then solve that. If that doesn't solve the issue start reducing your CO2 ever so slightly until your fish don't swim to the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guppies are very energetic fish compared to most aquarium inhabitants - I'd wager their O2 requirements are higher than most fish, and similarly the amount of CO2 they need to expel with all that activity will likely be higher. So it doesn't surprise me that they would have a lower tolerance for CO2 injection levels than other fish.

Also if you have just added the Guppies @widow-maker, fish can often take a week or so to become acclimatised to CO2 levels anyway, so really you should have had the CO2 off on the first day of introduction, and slowly ramped it back up to typical levels over the period of a week.

We have all been there whilst learning to use CO2, and had fish gasping at the surface at some point or other - the important thing is we recognise it for the 'hard fail' it is as a fish keeper with a duty of care to the animals, and learn from the mistake so it isn't repeated.

Iv lowered the co2 slightly now I have had them for a while they always seem to be hanging around the top I increased the co2 to try and get rid of a hair algae explosion but now they look like they are gasping couldn’t work out why they were the only ones at the surface i think they may just be more susceptible to co2

quick update… thanks for all your help it seems guppies suffer with high co2 levels more than the rest of my fish and not enough surface agitation. I put the co2 back to the level that was causing the problem but have increased surface agitation, i believe it was correct but I done a water change and put in slightly more water in turn lowering the filter output and never realised.. lesson learned. thanks for your help everyone

Back