• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gunk on Glass

jameson_uk

I get a film type build up on the inside of my nano tank and wondered what it actually is.

Most prevalent by substrate which makes scraping a bit of a pain. Is a credit card the best way of cleaning it off?

b02b2b54da6e821101930538344252af.jpg
0fb9cba9c5fe9b853f93135143d7761f.jpg

Biofilm or diatom's looks to me.
I clean the front glass and side glass each week during water changes with clean paper towel folded in to fourth's.
I can more easily feel any hard particulates(sand substrate for me)) between the paper towels that might scratch the glass than with algae magnet's or scraper.
If I don't clean glass each week,then more aggressive measures are needed and I'm a bit too lazy for that.
Otocinclus,Shrimps,snail's,like grazing on biofilm and diatom's seem to dissipate on their own as my tanks mature.

It looks quite different to my main tank which had much darker diatoms and much lighter biofilm. (That does have a huge amount more light and flow)

I haven't seen shrimp graze on it and it is annoyingly right in front of the shrimp I am trying to look at.

Will try some kitchen roll and see if I can get closer to the substrate without disturbing it.

Could be diatoms of some type (maybe a different species from your other tank), or maybe cyanobacteria, or any other bacterial/algal biofilm really .

Using the credit card would be a good idea, are you trying to avoid disturbing the substrate as it would cloud the water?

I wouldn't use kitchen roll in your aquarium, it will at least be bleached, and probably treated with all sorts of other chemicals for extra strength and absorbancy. Last time I checked in Tesco there was one specific, more expensive "food safe" brand of kitchen roll - that would probably be safe for an aquarium - but all the common brands would not be a good idea.

Last edited:
If its like a film that comes off easy it could be cyanobacteria, I get it when I leave my blinds open and the sunlight hits the tank.

Back